Monday, July 1, 2013

Training 7/1-7/7

7/1- Gold's 5 miler and my time is down to 35:26 (7:05 pace) and I managed to negative split this sucker with a 6:48 last mile. 1st half: 17:46, 2nd half: 17:40.  That's an improvement of 2:15 over yesterday.  In other news, I took only 1 Thym-Adren pill this morning and had a slight negative reaction.  Tomorrow, I am going without it.  Again, NO CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION!  Until I get a decent medical report, I will NOT believe that I am healed.  I've been burned too many times.  By coincidence, the colonies actually voted for Independence on July 2, 1776.  I will be off the Thym-Adren on July 2 and racing on Independence Day itself.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.5

7/2- Unplanned rest day.  Feel TERRIBLE but there is an explanation.  Because I am no longer taking the Thym-Adren with its high levels of copper and zinc, not only do I not need Vitamin C, it has become toxic to me.  I felt decent in the morning but got progressively worse as the day went on. This form of C is a sustained 12 hour release so I expect to hit bottom near 8:00 PM then begin to get better.  No panic.  I don't much care about the race.  If I had not signed up early, I would not even do it.
Update:  There is a 100% chance of rain on race day and a 90% chance during the start of the race.  I do NOT even want to go now.  I tried to weasel my way out but just could not turn down my best friend.

7/3- Gold's 2 miler in Pelham this time just after leaving work early.  Felt comparable to Monday overall.  This gym is not as nice as the one in Vestavia.  Finished in a time of 13:45 (6:53 pace).  Even 7:00 pace before a solid 3:16 last half mile.  Of course, I could have gone longer but had to save some for the "event" tomorrow.  90% chance of rain and a 90% chance that I will suck in the race and not enjoy the experience.  At least I will get to see Nick.  Jury is still out on the transdermal magnesium.  I need to run about a 6:40 pace for 6 miles to be convinced that it is working but so far, it hasn't failed me yet.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=2.5

7/4- Peachtree Road Race in 45:51 officially.  That's roughly 7:23 pace for 6.2, which is comparable to Monday's workout but I should be improving not stagnating at this point.  I have read to fructose malabsorption is linked to low magnesium.  Now that I'm using the TMG, fructosin may no longer work.  I took an extra dose afterwards and got WORSE.  So on Independence Day, I am no longer taking any oral supplements.  If I do not improve now, I am out of options and have officially reached the end of the line.  Good news is that I got to see Nick and the weather was not as bad as expected.  I'm not writing a race report for this but I will list approximate splits:
6:57-7:03(down)-7:13(down)-7:46(up)-7:45(up)-7:27+1:45ish.  To put this into perspective, I ran a 45:04 back in '04 with Stage 2 Adrenal Fatigue.  This is an all time personal worst.
Grade:D/2 credits/distance=7.0

7/5- 1st day off the pills and I did take a double dose yesterday so it's too early to judge this now.  That said, this one was AWFUL!  3 miles in 25:26 (8:29 pace) and I was fading to the 9 minute range at the end.  I should see incremental improvement tomorrow but if I'm not much better by Sunday, it's probably over.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=3.0

7/6- AM.  Got the expected incremental improvement.  3 miles again but my time was down to 23:46 (7:55 pace) with very even splits.  That's a 1:40 improvement in just over 12 hours but no cause for celebration.  I will try again this evening.

PM- 3 miles in 22:05 (7:22 pace).  Good for another 1:41 improvement and 3:21 over the last 24 hours.  Felt somewhat like my old self in this workout but still a LONG way to go.  Total time was 45:51 for 6 miles for an overall pace of 7:38.  I will attempt 10 tomorrow weather permitting.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=6.0

7/7- Run with the Gnomes.  Mixed feelings about this one.  I did finish 9 miles but my pace was well below my standards.  I was aiming for 10 @ 8:00ish and I was doing okay through 8 then hit the wall and limped to a 9:24 in Mile 9.  Overall time was 74:51 (8:19 pace).  I doubt that I could have finished 9 yesterday so I suppose it's another small incremental improvement but progress should be faster than this.
Grade:C/2 credits/distance=9.0

Weekly summary:
Not 1 but 2 collapses this week.  Normally, that would be grounds for quitting but because it was not the magnesium, I am still able to hold out some hope.  I have reached the end of the line with no other options remaining.  If I cannot recover my form next week or at least recapture the enjoyment, it's 6 weeks of inactivity then touch and go from there.
Distance= 33.0/ GPA=15.7/8= 1.96
YTD: 987 miles.  Record is 10-17.

No comments: