Monday, August 26, 2013

Training 8/26-9/1

8/26- Well, I said earlier that I NEVER EVER x infinity want to go back to X # of pills per day or else but that is exactly what has happened.  That said, it sure beats having to deal with the intolerable fatigue and depression that I had last week.  I am back on mega Thym-Adren plus 750mg each of Cal and Mag malate but no need for Fructosin yet.  I can only hope that the precise Cal/Mag ratio will eventually reduce my extreme dependence on Thym-Adren.  I KNOW that if I am able to take it consistently, it will normalize my Na and K values AND keep that critical ratio in the "good" range.  What is just as important is less clear.  Will the magnesium malate correct the Mag deficiency without disturbing the other key minerals and ratios?
As for today's workout, it went pretty well.  We got out first taste of Fall today with temps in the low 80s and a dewpoint of 60.  Lakeshore 5 in 37:20 (7:28 pace) in a comfortably moderate effort.  Slight negative split too (18:44-18:36).  Added a mile cool.  Tomorrow, I will attempt to go back to the Mag with B-6.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

8/27- First full day on the new formula (750 Cal/Mg + Thym-Adren).  It went well enough overall.  Workout was a short tempo.  3 miles in 19:59 (6:40 pace).  Splits were 6:30-6:52-6:37.  3 hard 200s then a cool.  Felt decent but not great.  May need to tweak the calcium.  I'm striving for a 1:1 ratio but if I am to take a little more of 1 of the 2, it should be magnesium.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=4.0

8/28- Tweaked the formula a bit so that I am now taking slightly more Mag than Cal.  I may have to cut pills in half to reach a state of equilibrium.  Once again, the workout went well.  Trak Shak 6.5 loop in 47:28 (7:18 pace) plus a cool.  Faded a bit on the hills at the end but strong overall.  I can still feel the imbalances holding me back but my chemistry is clearly in a state of flux now.  I wanted to do 8 but felt a little overheated and did not chance it.  Weather was sunny and 85 with a 65 dewpoint.  Not bad for late summer but far from ideal for distance running.  
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

8/29- Speed workout.  Both Vestavia and Mountain Brook were closed due to JV football games.  It can be hard to find a track in the Spring and Fall.  Ended up at South Lakeshore as a last resort.  Workout was 8x400 in :83 (5:30 ish pace) with a range of 78-86.  R was 2 min. static and added a half mile warm and cool.  The road is slightly sloped so it should be a hair slower than on a track but this is a far cry from my 75s at my peak.  Average performance overall.  Plenty of energy during the day but felt a little off during the workout.  Maybe I am over-reaching a bit but more likely, I need to cut the Mag just a bit.  Ratio should be near 1:1 but today, it was more like 2 parts Cal: 3 parts Mag.  Just 1 pill can make a difference.  ARRGH!
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=3.0

8/30- Settled on around 600 mg of each and at least for this week, it is a winning formula.  Next week?  Don't know.  Easy 6 at Golds in a time of 44:18 (7:23 pace).  Smooth and relaxed with a nice even pace (22:06/22:12).  This would have been a solid "A" if not for some minor stomach discomfort.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

8/31- Planned rest day.  Heading to Clemson for the football game.  As of now, I'd prefer to stay on my routine because I'm finally getting it together but I'm not backing out after I've already said yes.  I need only a "C-" tomorrow to get a win.

9/1- The Clemson game was a thriller but it was a mistake to get out of my routine and I'll explain later.  Rather lame 4 miler in 31:23 (7:51 pace) but I still get the win.  Given what happened yesterday (3 AM bed time + too much drinking and garbage food), it was an accomplishment just to get out there and run today.  I've got to say "no" to friends more often.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=4.0

Weekly summary:
Win #14 on the year.  At least for now, I may have found a solution.  I MUST stick to my routine for the next few weeks.  I just hope that I can bounce back quickly from this lapse.  A new Rant post is coming so stay tuned.
Distance=30.0/ GPA= 24.8/8= 3.10

No comments: