Monday, August 5, 2013

Training 8/5-8/11

8/5- Back in the 'Ham.  Easy 6 indoors.  Weather was okay but it was probably a smart call to stay in given that I spent so much time in the sun the past few days.  Legs were very heavy but outside of that, I remained fairly relaxed with an even pace that varied no more than 10 ticks per mile.  Finished with a time of 46:56 (7:49 pace).  1st half was 23:24, 2nd half was 23:32.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=6.0

8/6- Mountain Brook loop.  This one was milder than last week with the only really tough stretch being Overbrook near the halfway point.  Covered 5 miles in 38:06 (7:37 pace).  Relatively even splits and fairly comfortable effort.  Felt a good deal better than yesterday and it is becoming increasingly clear that too much gel is bad for me.  I was immediately skeptical of the claim of "no danger of overdose" and it appears that I was right.  What is most important is still to be resolved.  Does transdermal magnesium help modulate other key minerals?
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.0

8/7- Planned an interval session but it was rained out so I had no choice other than to hit the gym.  Got to see Lisa who was teaching a class there.  Workout was good.  Easy 6 in 44:54 (7:29 pace).  Man, it feels so good to click off steady 7:30ish splits again and feel comfortable doing it.  Pace was steady in the low 7:30s until the last lap. Unofficially, I clocked a 36 second last lap (1/9 mile), which is roughly 5:20 pace despite some lingering heaviness in the legs.  Used just a few sprays of Mag oil and may even go off it for a few days.  I've got about 5 weeks until I send in the hair sample but I want to see a new medical report now.  Added a mile cool on the 'mill.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

8/8- Another mediocre speed session.  This one was at Mountain Brook for a change.  I was shooting for 10-12 300s in 60 seconds with a short rest.  I ended up doing 10 in sets of 5 with a final 200 all out.  I was heavy and slow from the start but to my credit, I managed to hold the pace through the workout.  The 300s were all 66-67 and the final 200 was a pedestrian 38 seconds.  I had another forbidden drink this morning and used just a small amount of Mag gel.  I'm going off it as of now so once again, my body is rejecting all treatments.  The medical report must be sent out as soon as my hair is long enough.
Grade:C-/2 credits/distance=3.0

8/9- Planned rest day.  First day off the gel.  Still not feeling well this morning but expect to improve throughout the day.  I can still get a win this week but I'll need an "A-" in my long run.

8/10- FAILURE!  Demoralizing run with the Gnomes and had to drop out after 2 miles.  Walk-jogged back home and finished with a running distance of 3.5 miles in 32:43 (9:21 pace).  Starting back on the gel this afternoon.

PM- Back on the Mag gel.  A weak 2.5 miler at Gold's in 19:55 (7:58 pace).  Better than the morning.  I've come to the conclusion that it is the caffeine that was the problem.  I can handle occasional beer and smoothies and even non-caffeinated soda in moderation but NOT caffeine.  For the last time, I'm done with that stuff and I am embarrassed that I keep saying that and still go back on it for no real reason.  It doesn't even make me feel good temporarily.

Run #3- 2 miles on Wisteria in 15:38 (7:49 pace).  Not a significant improvement over last time.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=8.0

8/11- Well, I finished 9 miles with a group but it was done at a maddeningly slow pace.  GPS was acting weird so I don't know the pace but my last mile was barely under 10 and I don't think the overall pace was much better.  I will tack on a junk mile later to make it an even 10.  I am going to stay on the transdermal mag but will try a Cal/Mag in pill form or possibly another form of Mag.  I could not tolerate it before but maybe I can now.

PM-  Added another 2 mile after realizing that I was at 38 on the week.  Wisteria route and my time is down to 15:02 (7:31 pace).  Improving.   Update: The Cal/Mag citrate was POISON to me before starting the gel and IT STILL IS!  Felt MUCH worse immediately after popping a pill but there is a payoff.  I picked up some Mg malate also at the store and began feeling slightly better after taking it.  Dare I say that there is new hope?
Grade:D/2 credits/distance=11.0

Weekly summary:
Loss #18 on the year and it was another blowout but I made 2 important discoveries.  First, I re-learned how bad caffeine is for me.  Second, I found a new form of magnesium, which may be more effective and is supposedly very good for athletes with chronic fatigue.  I'm staying on the transdermal stuff as well.  Without it, I will probably have to go back on the Thym-Adren and I sure hope I do not substitute one extreme sensitivity for another.  PLEASE, no x# of Mg malate or else!
Distance=40.0/ GPA=16.1/8=2.01
YTD: 1,124 miles.  12-18 with a 2.60 GPA

No comments: