Monday, February 20, 2017

Training 2/20-2/26

2/20- Day off work for President's Day.  Did the Ferritin re-test and am just hoping to confirm that the Iron is NOT the smoking gun.  Even if it remains high, no action will be taken until after NYC.

AM- Workout was 3 miles at Spain Park's track in a time of 24:53 (8:18 pace).  That's a MINUS 84 over triple the distance from yesterday. Started off at sub-8 pace then quickly settled into the 8:30 range but held it there.  Took just a pinch of PABA but it's still obvious that I have too much in my system.  A couple of questions remain.  Will I tolerate the pinch of PABA or will I develop a complete intolerance?  If tolerated, will the small dose be enough to relieve the brutal sensitivity and moving targets with MF?  Lynch's MTHFRade is well tolerated so far.  We shall see.  I may be out again this evening.

PM- Took the evening off.  The MTHFRade is a NO probably because of the taurine content.  PABA or BUST!
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/21- Good news.  The answer to the 2 key questions are YES to both.  PABA IS tolerated in small doses AND the small dose IS enough to prevent extreme sensitivity and moving targets.  I'm going with this formula at least for the next 4 weeks until after NYC.  The workout still was not pretty because of yesterday's ill-advised MTHFRade.  3 miles in a moving time of 23:45 (7:55 pace) MINUS 23.  Could not hold a sub-8 pace without PABA so I popped a trace and actually did marginally better with it.  Then, I tried extra MF and again showed marginal improvement despite going beyond the "sweet spot".  Here are stats:
2000 MF w/no PABA- 3 laps in 2:40 (8:00 pace) but fading.
2000 MF w/PABA- 2 miles in 15:54 (7:57 pace) steady all the way.
2800 MF w/PABA- 6 laps in 5:11 (7:48 pace). likely near 8:00 for 2 miles.

PM- Took the evening off.  NOT good news on Ferritin.  My number dropped from 204 down to 189.  I was shooting for 150 or below.  Can't be sure that the methylation is the smoking gun now.  I've got to go with the liver flush after NYC and if that doesn't work, it's blood donation.  I am also quite puzzled that I can tolerate some sulfur containing pills such as glutathione, SAM-e and glucosamine just fine but others such as taurine and milk thistle are disasters.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/22- Gold's 3 miler in 21:27 (7:09 pace) MINUS 46 with splits of 7:01-7:16-7:10.  Solid performance and I believe it is my best time of the year.  Still, no cause for celebration.  I've been here a million times before only to relapse yet again.  I will not even allow myself to hope again until I am under 21 and will not declare myself back until I am consistently under 20.  It seems that the sulfur containing glucosamine/chondroitin has mitigated much of the ill-effects of the sulfur containing taurine and milk thistle.  WHAT THE ______?
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=3.0

2/23- Lakeshore 5 in 43:35 (8:43 pace).  Started off at a smooth 7:30ish pace but it was downhill after Mile 1.  I was still at 19:37 at the half and probably under 24 at 3 miles but totally DIED on the back half to a pitiful 23:58.  Yes, it sucked but it's a suckage that I can accept.

I tried increasing the molybdenum in an effort to lower ferritin levels but it appears that it has also opened up the blocked part of the transulfation pathway.  Taurine was tolerated and so was Curcumin.  Whenever a MAJOR problem is solved, it's common to see a temporary spike in adrenal activity.  Instead of the usual lethargic feeling, I was loose but easily winded.  Extra ADHS seemed to help.  A more detailed post is coming.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=5.0

2/24- 3 miles at Gold's.  Started on the usual 3 ADHS and was 2:46 (8:18 pace) and fading through 3 laps so I popped 3 more and went non-stop @ 7:55 pace the rest of the way en route to a 23:54 finish (7:58 overall pace) or just below the Mendoza line.  Extra ADHS was not a miracle but it was a definite improvement and again, I believe it's just a temporary reaction.  3 weeks from today, I will be on a flight to New York City.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/25- Half marathon distance in 1:50:46 (8:27 pace) with the BTC.  Not much power or strength but remarkably consistent splits.  I never went under 8:20 or over 8:35 and I felt that I could have gone a few miles further at this pace.  Not half bad overall.  If the adrenals calm down and I can avoid a relapse, I will have a respectable showing in NYC.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=13.5

2/26-AM- Reduced my ADHS dosage and my system wasn't quite ready for it.  Hoped to run 6.5 miles on Lakeshore but settled for 3.5 in a time of 27:33 (7:52 pace).  Started strong but faded to the 8:10 range over the last 2 miles.

PM- A few interesting observations.  PABA was tolerated at FULL strength and so was a double dose of Curcumin as well as Apple Cider Vinegar.  I believe the molybdenum opened up a blockage in the sulfation pathway.  Tacked on another 3 miles this time at Vestavia and it was a carbon copy of the morning session.  Not quite as fast early but I did a little better at holding the pace.  Finished in 23:39 (7:53 pace).  Neither yesterday's run nor the morning session seemed to effect me very much.
Grade:C/2 credit/distance=6.5

Weekly summary:
Probably the best week overall this year.  I may be in a situation in which I am NOT SENSITIVE TO ANYTHING IN MY COCKTAIL!  That, my friends is all I really want out of all this.  Anything else is a bonus.  A couple more questions need to be answered.  I'll know what if any effect the Curcumin has and whether or not I even need the PABA now that I am on the molybdenum.
Distance=37.0/ GPA= 21.4/10= 2.14
YTD: 199 miles.  0-7 record with a 1.63 GPA (slowly climbing since Week 2)


No comments: