Monday, February 19, 2018

Training 2/19-2/25

2/19- Time to get serious now.  Trak Shak 8 mile loop in 66:25 (8:18 pace).  I'm okay with this one despite the slow pace.  I believe this is my longest run since November plus it is a very hilly route.  HR was the same as yesterday at 156.  Overall energy level is still not where it needs to be but every day without a relapse is a good one.  I'd expect a 5 miler would have been comparable to yesterday, maybe a hair better.  I'll take it little by little.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=8.0

2/20- Gold's 5 and my time is down to 37:35 (7:31 pace).  MINUS 14.  That's an improvement of 71 seconds overall in just 2 days in spite of a hilly 8 miler the day before.  I'll take it but I still don't feel a bit like the Crazy J of old.  Legs are heavy and sore constantly and am still low on energy.  Still, when the plan is working well, I usually DON'T see dramatic improvements from one day to the next.  It is only over the course of a few weeks that improvement becomes clearly evident.  HR came up by 3 to 159 while the cadence remained 176.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.0

2/21- Trak Shak 6.5 mile.  Out and back route to the trail section of Jemison so it was a moderately hilly route.  Finished in 51:17 (7:53 pace) and dialed back the effort a bit from yesterday.  HR finally hit 160 with a cadence of 178.  Tacked on a half mile cool.  Solid performance.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=7.0

2/22- Lakeshore 3 mile tempo on a BEAUTIFUL evening.  Finished in 21:36 (7:12 pace).  Not bad but still not feeling all that great.  Legs remain heavy and sore but I have jacked up the mileage.  Faded on the back half (10:35-11:01).  HR-161, Cadence-184.  I'm hoping to be under 36 for 5 miles by the end of next week, which means I'd have to average this same pace for 2 additional miles.  If I can do that, I've got a shot at a post-35 PR for 10K.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=3.0

2/23- Planned rest day.  I'm going to count this as a win if I can finish a decent long run this weekend.  I've got a couple small questions to answer.  As for the diet, I've not broken any major rules but I have been drinking some Gold Peak Green Tea.  It's made with real sugar and contains no forbidden preservatives and only minimal caffeine.  Still, I may be better off sticking to water.  Second, the glycine dose is currently at 6 g.  That could be the source of the sluggish feeling and I am considering reducing it to 4.  Does occasional cheating impact the dose?  We shall see.  Still, if I remain stable but mildly sluggish everyday, it is still an acceptable outcome.

2/24- Split decision.  I did get through my first double digit run of the year but it was ugly.  Finished 10 miles on a relatively flat route in 86:40 (8:40 pace).  A full 13.1 would have been around 1:55-1:56.  That is NOT acceptable.  Never did have a good pace and faded on the back half (42:10-44:30). HR dropped to 148 and Cadence was a slow 172. As for the questions to be answered.  4 glycine was clearly not enough and it was apparent before the run so I went with 5.  Felt considerably worse after sugar consumption later.  I won't suffer a full relapse as long as I don't make a habit of doing this but it most definitely is slowing me down.  WATER ONLY!

PM- Tacked on 2 more miles on Wisteria at junk pace just because I felt like it.  If I can manage 5 tomorrow, it will be a 40 mile week.
Grade:B-/2 credit/distance=12.0

2/25- Gold's 5 on a rainy day.  Improved to 36:51 (7:22 pace).  MINUS 9.  Solid performance.  I added some Pantothentic Acid (B-5) to help with the glycine conjugation and I felt a difference after taking it.  Will it improve my sugar tolerance?  That seems unlikely.  HR remains low at 149 with a fast cadence of 186.  Splits were 18:08-18:43 and really fell asleep in Mile 4 (7:44) but did rebound nicely at the end (7:17).  I figure a 10K would have taken me about 9:30-9:40 in additional time and bring me home in the low-mid 46s.  My current post-35 PR is 45:40 set last Spring in Miss'Sippy.  I might have a shot next weekend.
Grade:B+/2 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
Win #1 on the year. I may face a PABA flare next week but hopefully not an adrenal spike.
Distance=40.0/ GPA=3.03
YTD- 209 miles.  Record- 1-6



No comments: