Monday, February 5, 2018

Training 2/5-2/11

2/5- Day 1- AM-Took the glycine at night as planned and got an immediate negative reaction.  It wasn't much better by the morning.  2 miles in 17:38 (8:49 pace).  Started off reasonably well but it was sharply downhill after the first half mile.  If I don't cheat today, I can probably avoid the adrenal spike but am still at risk for a PABA flare and glycine spike.  One LAST LAST experiment will be L-Serine or Threonine, a glycine precursor next week.  May be back out this evening.

PM- Similar pattern as the morning but slightly better overall.  Same 2 mile distance and my time was down to 16:52 (8:26 pace).  MINUS 23.  I actually have 3 options: Stay the course and hope the dose will eventually stabilize, Hack the formula with a precursor such as Threonine/Serine, Go back to last year's success formula (low dose glycine w/2 Ultimate B and no sugar restrictions).
Distance=4.0
2/6- Unplanned rest day.  It's becoming apparent that glycine must be cut out altogether.  Is this permanent or temporary?  What happens with the sensitivity to Vitamin C and the others?  Can the precursor be a substitute?  Needless to say, I'm not happy but it's gotten to the point in which I am numb now.

2/7- AM- Another unplanned rest day and I'm shutting down the grading until further notice.  After just one day off the glycine, the intolerance to Whole Food C has kicked back in with a vengeance.  Glycine is still not tolerated.  I doubt this has anything to do with it but I have been taking some Vitamin E (succinate) just to finish an old bottle.  Nevertheless, I stop that stuff and try again in another day or two so this week is basically a total loss.  Odds are, my last hope is the precursor.

2/8- AM- After just 1 day off the Vitamin E, the need for glycine kicked in with a VENGEANCE!  This is good news.  Vitamin C will once again be tolerated and my Iron and copper metabolism will be at acceptable levels.  I read something online about the succinate-glycine cycle so I thought the E (as succinate) would increase glycine's effectiveness.  Needless to say, it didn't work out as planned.  It was the dreaded interval workout today and here are the splits:
0 glycine- 3:34 (10:42 pace)
1 glycine- 3:13 (9:39 pace)  MINUS 63
2 glycine- 2:53 (8:39 pace) MINUS 60
4 glycine- 2:28 (7:24 pace) MINUS 37.5 per pill
  Odds are, I would see some additional benefit from a 5th pill but not much beyond that.
In other news, the precursor did arrive earlier than expected but I will hold off until the evening because I don't want to risk a meltdown at work.

PM- Tried Threonine and it failed.  It was a risk that I was willing to take.  Although it is possible that Threonine alone could work, I'm going with glycine alone and I'm going to "live or die" with it.  That's it.  I've done everything that I possibly can.  Starting next week, I will begin training in earnest and we shall see how it goes.  Workout was a junk run on Lakeshore.  I was struggling for 8 minute pace after 1 Threonine pill then popped another and could not do 9 minute pace.
Distance=2.5

2/9-AM- Junk run at Gold's to measure my starting point.  1.5 miles in 14:30 (9:40 pace) and I may be out this evening.  NO MORE EXPERIMENTS.  DO OR DIE WITH THIS FORMULA!

PM- 2 miles at Gold's in 17:50 (8:55 pace).  Even pace but no energy.  HR was just 124 today despite a near all out effort.  That should not happen until I am pushing 90 years old.  I cheated on the sugar and caffeine this week so it's back on track tomorrow.  I am prepared to face an adrenal spike and a PABA flare but no matter what happens, I'm sticking with high dose glycine.
Distance=3.5

2/10- 3 miles in 24:38 (8:13 pace).  Progressing well.  Negative split with a sub-8 last mile.  Still, the adrenal spike will hit by the afternoon and the PABA flare will follow in 3-5 days.  I'm resting until tomorrow evening.
Distance=3.0

2/11- As expected, the adrenal spike did hit yesterday afternoon.  I expected to take a small step backward today but managed to improve to 23:44 (7:55 pace) MINUS 18.  HR-152, Cadence-176.  Under the Mendoza line for the first time in 7 days.  This is only Day 2.
Distance=3.0

Up Ahead:
I am going to need mega doses of ADHS for the next 5-6 days but will continue to improve steadily for the next 2-4 days.  Then, I will be hit with a 1 day PABA flare.  That my friends, had BETTER be my last relapse barring anything stupid.  If my current plan fails, I am done.
-Totaled a measly 16 miles on the week.
- YTD- 147 miles.  0-5 record.

No comments: