Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Spring Road Trips

I’d like to pick up 3 new half marathon states between late March and early May.  There is a slight change in plans.  The car and the down payment on the condo set me back a bit financially and I still need to buy new furniture.   I’ll have to scale back a bit on the length of the trips.  The 3 new states are Delaware, Iowa and Rhode Island.  Good variety there.

3/24- Caesar Rodney Half.  Wilmington, Delaware
I can get a direct flight to Philadelphia on a Saturday morning for a Sunday race then leave late in the evening on Sunday.  It would only require a 1-night stay in a hotel and no time off work.  It’s only a 20-mile drive from Philly to Wilmington but yes, I’ll have to rent a car to see other attractions.  After the race, I’ll have about 5-6 hours to tour before I have to catch my return flight.  I’ll hope to see the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and the Rocky statue. 

 On 2nd thought, the Rocky statue and the art museum steps are easily accessible from the airport via I-76 so I will probably see that first.  If I have time, I may be able to squeeze in another museum and take a drive up and down Broad Street.

4/20-Keshaw Half. Washington, Iowa
This is a small rural race but it works out well because of its date and location.  I get one day off work for Confederate Memorial Day in Alabama (lol).  This one will be a long drive but I’m sure that my Toyota can handle it.  I’ll leave early on Thursday and drive to St. Louis (7.5 hours).  I’ll take the West route to avoid Nashville traffic.  Hotels are reasonably priced downtown and I can get one within walking distance of the Gateway Arch.  This time, I’m going up to the top. 

 From St. Louis, it’s only 1.5 hours to Springfield, Illinois and the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library.  I can’t think of a better time for a visit!  It’s about 3.5-4 hours from Springfield to the race site in Iowa so that’s not too much driving for one day.  After the race, I will go to Chicago.  It’s supposedly only 4 hours but I’ll figure on 5 with the traffic.  I’ll use the money saved from not taking a flight and not renting a car to splurge at the Trump Hotel, where the city views are outstanding.  

In Chicago, I will see the Willis Tower, Millennium Park and possibly Oak Street Beach or a history museum.  I’ll drive part way back and get back to B’ham at a decent hour Monday.

5/5- Providence Rhode Race.  Providence, Rhode Island.
Again, it’s a Sunday race that will not require any time off work.  Obviously, I will have to fly this one but should not have to rent a car.  Supposedly, there is a train that connects the airport to downtown.  If that doesn’t work out, I can always take Uber.  I don’t anticipate venturing outside the downtown area so a car won’t be necessary.  Hotels are quite pricey here but it’s only 1 night.  I may be able to visit a couple of Dumb and Dumber sights.

No comments: