Thursday, October 17, 2019

Another Epic Road Trip

10/11- Flew from Birmingham to Manchester, New Hampshire.  It required a long layover in Philadelphia and cost more money, but it was nice to not have to spend a night in Atlanta or fight the Boston traffic.  I spent the night a few miles south in Nashua to save a few bucks.

Massachusetts


10/12- Slept in as long as I wanted and started out going south on US-3 into Massachusetts then took the interstate to the coast.  My first stop was Salisbury, Mass then picked up US-1A back in New Hampshire.  Needless to say, it was too cold for a swim but if it had been 20 degrees warmer, it could have been a fun day out there in the rough surf.   I went for a junk run at Hampton Beach then drove on the ocean road, where I caught glimpses of the waves crashing violently against the rocks.  If not for a sea wall, the water would have spilled on the road.   I crossed into Maine for a seafood lunch then took a scenic walk along the black sand and cliffs of York Beach.  Northern New England has a different and more chill vibe than Southern New England. 

NH Beach

Maine 1
Maine 2


10/13- The race was a point to point route from the New Hampshire Speedway to the State Capitol building in Concord.  Though net downhill, it was a tough but fair course that included a very steep stretch in Mile 9.  It was a beautiful route along mostly rural roads with peak foliage.  My pace was steady in the mid-high 8s through the first half then slipped to the low 9s.  I was still on pace for a sub-2 until the end of Mile 12 then the bottom fell out.  It took over 12 minutes to complete the last mile and I was honestly trying my best.  Probably a combination of under-training and detox symptoms.  Nevertheless, it was a significant improvement over New Jersey the previous month. 



From Concord, it was I-89 N into Vermont.  I made a stop at the Capitol in Montpelier as well as Lake Champlain in Burlington.  The weather had cleared so it was possible to view the Adirondack Mountains from the lake.  I took a ferry to Plattsburgh, New York to save time then determined that I had just enough daylight to make a small loop in the Adirondacks.  There were no real photo ops here, but I did see nice Creekside scenery with several mountain views.  Lake Placid was jammed so I simply drove through and was back in Plattsburgh for the night. 

Lake Champlain


10/14- Crossed the border into Quebec and listened to some radio in French.  As for the language barrier, border towns and large cities such as Quebec City and Montreal are bilingual but in small towns and rural areas, you will be expected to speak French.  I had no problems myself.  You will probably be greeted in French but once they realize that you are an Anglophone, they will have no problem switching to English.  I know a few basic phrases but have limited comprehension.  Still, when I did speak French, it was appreciated. 

Canadian Parliament

Soon, I crossed back into Ontario where the destination was the capital city of Ottawa.  I walked by the Parliament, Supreme Court and the Rideau Canal on my way to the Canadian Museum of History across the river in Gatineau, Quebec.  There is a nice bike trail on both sides with views of the Parliament as well as at least 3 pedestrian brides so it’s surely popular with the running community.  The museum was quite interesting, but I didn’t have time to fully do it justice.  At 4:00, I met up with my friend Arpita, whom I had not seen since college.  We got a selfie together at the Parliament, took a long walk together then got some dinner on Sparks Street.  It was great to see her again and we may do this again someday. 





10/15-Hit the road early to Montreal back in Quebec.  My first stop was Mount Royal and I had the perfect day to see it.  The walk included a rather long trail with a seemingly endless staircase but I did have crystal clear skies and peak foliage.  The pictures here are wall worthy for sure. 



Mt. Royal


 After a quick lunch near my hotel, I was back out headed for Old Town, where I saw the Notre Dame cathedral and the Old Port.  After dinner in a sports bar, I decided to see my first live NHL hockey game in more than 25 years.  The Canadiens lost 3-1 to Tampa Bay but I still enjoyed the atmosphere. 




10/16- Took a quick tour of the Underground City, which is really just a glorified shopping mall but does serve as an extensive pedestrian network that serves the community well when the weather is foul in the winter months.  I did see one runner while I was there.  I was back in America by noon and enjoyed a scenic ride through White Mountain National Forest back in New Hampshire.

NH Lake


Yes, this was an epic road trip.

No comments: