Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Early Response to Sarcosine

It arrived in my mailbox a day earlier than expected, which was a welcome sight because I have been BEYOND HORRIBLE these last 3 days. I need glycine or one of its precursors but glycine itself is not tolerated so I was DOOMED if this failed.  It's not to be taken in pill form.  Instead, it came in bag in powdered form with a scoop.  I prefer pills so I know exactly how much I am getting but IF it resolves the sensitivity, that will be a non-issue.

RESULT:
As expected, I was AWFUL without it. Came through a half mile in 4:54 (9:48 pace) and I was getting slower with every step.  Over a full mile, it would have been WELL over 10 minutes.  Took half a scoop to be cautious and guard against a detox reaction.  The suggested dose is 2 scoops.  In any event, I did notice an improvement within seconds of swallowing this stuff and it was evident before the next interval.  Ran the next half mile in a less anemic 3:52 (7:44 pace) and this time, I felt like I could have kept going at this pace.  Hardly a sudden miracle but it is enough to keep a tiny flicker of hope alive.

AFTERMATH:
I wanted to test out my tolerance to Vitamin C and glycine.  So far so good.  Although I did not test it out in a run, I did not feel any noticeable ill-effects after taking either one of them.  That is excellent news.  I did not try out the Syntol probiotics or the glutamine but will do so tomorrow.

BEST CASE SCENARIO:
  The Sarcosine will open up the blocked pathway.  I WILL need glycine and/or one of its intermediaries (sarcosine) because of my enzyme defects.  What I HOPE to see is that while I do need at least a specific dose of sarcosine with or without plain glycine, there will be NO SIGNIFICANT GAIN OR LOSS from going beyond the required dose as is the case with Methylfolate and ADHS.

WORST CASE:
Given my history, it is WAY too early to celebrate.  Once again, if this fails, I am screwed.  I've been so bad the past 3 days that I am not sure that I can even work my current job long-term if every day is like this recent nightmare.  I will have no choice other than to go back to anti-depressants.   SSRIs and SNRIs were total failures so the only one that I would agree to take is Wellbutrin or something similar (dopamine based). 

There is nearly ZERO chance that's the answer but it might relieve the symptoms enough for me to function at a higher level.   Risks are involved with that approach as well.  I could face fluctuating doses as well as sensitivity and/or horrifying withdrawal symptoms.  It's bad enough to react that way to supplements.  What could happen if I react badly to a powerful mind altering drug?  If the Sarcosine (which also has anti-depressant properties) is successful, I won't have to consider the alternative, which is pretty darn scary but it's the truth.

Day 2- 3x800 on S. Lakeshore. Opened with a 3:39 (7:18 pace).  Popped a probiotic and did a 3:41 (7:22 pace).  Popped a PABA and repeated the 3:41.  Those times are still awfully slow by my standards but it was a significant improvement over yesterday.  This is still excellent news overall.  Both the probiotic and the PABA were non-factors so I am betting that the problems with food preservatives have been solved.  Both glycine and glutamine appear to be tolerated as well.  Next up is to find the optimal dose of Sarcosine.  I upped it to a full scoop today and that's probably the reason for the improvement.  Pace per mile was 26 seconds faster than yesterday. 

No comments: