Monday, April 30, 2018

Training 4/30-5/6

4/30- AM- 3 miles in 23:56 (7:59 pace).  Very pleased.  I've brought it down already and this was done on 2 scoops.  I hovered just a few seconds over most of the way then rallied at the end.
Checked my weight for the first time in a while and it was 158 lbs.  I'm a little thicker in the waist nowadays but I'm afraid that's inevitable as I get older but I'm only 5 lbs heavier than I was coming out of college so I'd say that's pretty good. Added a half mile cool.

PM- Disappointing step backward.  Hoped to run at least 4.5 on Lakeshore but settled for 2.5 in a weak time of 20:57 (8:23 pace).  I was doing sub-8 early but crashed hard in the last mile and quit early.   I have NOT cheated on my diet.  The smart money is on a temporary spike in my adrenals.  Let's hope it calms down soon.  Before Sarcosine, adrenal spikes lasted about 7 days.
Distance=6.0

5/1- AM- TEST.  3x3 laps at Gold's
0 Adrenal support- 2:39 (7:57 pace)
3 pills- 2:10 (6:30 pace)
5 pills- 2:02 (6:06 pace)

PM- 5 miles on Lakeshore in 39:19 (7:52 pace).  A bit of a fade on the back half but it was slightly uphill.  Overall, I am pleased with this day.  In the morning session, I was not horrible naked.  If I pulled that stunt before Sarcosine, it would have been over 3.  The more pills I took, the better I got and it was a significant difference between 3 and 5 but it was not a radical shift.  Soon, the adrenal spike will calm down.  As for the evening, I doubled yesterday's session at a faster pace.
Distance=6.0

5/2- Planned rest day but I did test out my tolerance to Glutamine.  That was the first problem I had when the trouble with Sarcosine started.  It is tolerated once again so there is a good chance that abstinence from sugar and alcohol could do the trick.  Unfortunately, the adrenal spike remains.  It has GOT to calm down by the weekend.  Did the first mile in 7:42 then popped a Glutamine and improved to a 7:37.  I suspect that a 5 miler would have been just about the same as yesterday.
Distance=2.0

5/3- 3 miles in 23:51 (7:57 pace).  Good news is that I am not collapsing.  Bad news is that I am not seeing any improvement.  In fact, I am slightly worse than I was 2 days ago.  I've been clean for 5 days on the diet so it is possible that the adrenal spike is NOT caffeine related but I am NOT testing that out.  It is possible that since I have solved a MAJOR problem with the Sarcosine, my adrenals have spiked for that reason.  If my Iron has crept up again, blood donation is an easy fix but I'm not doing anything radical until after New England.  I may switch back to Thym-Adren.
Distance=3.0

5/4- Switched to Thym-Adren and it was the right call.  Again, I labored through 3 miles but my time was down to 22:43 (7:34 pace).  MINUS 23 with an even pace.  That is enough to be considered significant.  I won't know for sure until Sunday but it is looking increasingly clear that the adrenal spike is NOT caffeine related.  Instead it is from solving a MAJOR problem with the enzyme defects.  My body was pushing so hard to produce "normal" energy in spite of being held back for so long that it doesn't know what to do when it's not held back.  The best analogy is that it feels like a bike out of gear.  In this case, after being too tight for so long, I am now too loose.
Distance=3.0

5/5- Successfully upped the distance to 11.5 miles.  Finished in 97:12 (8:27 pace).  MINUS 6 versus last week with the additional 1.5 miles.  This projects to a 1:51 half mary versus a 1:53 last week.  I'll take it.  Slow but steady improvement is the goal.  Not the wild up and down swings. I may not notice any difference from one day to the next but over the course of several weeks, improvement is evident. I've got 15 days until the goal race in Massachusetts so I think a sub-1:50 is a reasonable goal.
Distance=11.5

5/6- Canterbury 3.5 mile loop in 28:45 (8:13 pace).  Nothing earth shattering to report.  Feeling about the same as the previous days.  The slow pace is understandable given a hilly route and yesterday's long run.  It has been confirmed that the adrenal spike is NOT caffeine related.  It will eventually calm down but that takes time.  The adrenals spiked after I got an infected root canal out and they spiked after the liver flush as well.  It will be a gradual but steady improvement.  I did cheat a little this weekend but I'll be fine as long as I don't make a habit of it.
Distance=3.5

-35 miles on the week.  If I can maintain this mileage, I can be competitive again.

No comments: