Monday, April 23, 2018

Training 4/23-4/29

I will try again to get serious this week.  As of now, it appears that I can handle 1 scoop of Sarcosine and it seems unlikely to evolve into complete intolerance.  If it does, I'm dead.  It also appears that my performances MAY stabilize around the Mendoza line give or take a few ticks with 1 scoop.  As expected, my diet was BAD on this trip and beer was the primary indiscretion.  Still, it was somewhat encouraging that I have not collapsed to the 9-10 minute range for a single Mile.  However, this Mendoza level of performance (3 @ 8:00) is not nearly good enough to be considered acceptable for me.  I thought that perhaps increasing the Sarcosine would mitigate the effects of cheating but that does not appear to be the case.  If anything, cheating may REDUCE the tolerance to Sarcosine and thus perhaps if I stay clean, the tolerance will improve.  It is also possible that it will take time for the tolerance to kick in and I just need to ride it out until it does.  Either way, no more sugared or alcoholic drinks from M-F.

4/23- Covered 3 miles on the Texas coast but it was stop and go as I admired the sunrise.  Felt about the same as the past several day.  This would have been around 24 if I went hard.  Caught the flight back to the Ham and it will be back to the real world tomorrow.
Distance=3.0

4/24- 3 miles at Gold's in 23:55 (7:58 pace).  As I predicted, I was right around the Mendoza line give or take a few seconds.  Good news is that I have stabilized.  Bad news is I am much too slow.  I don't ever expect to come anywhere near a PR again but I certainly should be better than this.  Tonight, I will up the Sarcosine just a tad.  Slightly less than 1.5 scoops.  I expect that it will make a difference.  I am not sure if it will be positive or negative.
Distance=3.0

4/25- I predicted that extra Sarcosine would make a difference and I was correct.  Problem was it was NOT a positive difference so the tolerance has not ticked up yet.  Only possible solution is to wait for the effects of the abstinence to kick in.  I went to Lakeshore and had seen enough after just 1 Mile in 8:07. A 3 miler would have been 25-26.   If I had taken 2 full scoops, it would have been over 9 for 1 Mile.  Back to 1 tomorrow then I will try to up it again in a few more days.
Distance=1.0

4/26- Back to the new normal.  3 miles in 23:47 (7:56 pace).  Marginally better than 2 days ago  with a more even pace but not nearly enough to be considered significant.  A half marathon would be just south of 9:00 pace right now and I'd need a relatively flat course just to be under 2 hours.  Either I find some way to tolerate 2+ scoops of Sarcosine or I will have to accept being a jogger.  Also, I have found that I am much more dependent on adrenal and methylation support if I only take 1 scoop.  Going up to 2 scoops tonight and I expect to take a step backward tomorrow.  MUST stay off sugars and alcohol during the week.
Distance=3.5

4/27- Upped it to 2 scoops and as expected, I took a step backward.  Did 1 mile on Wisteria in 8:23.  I actually thought it would be worse.  Tacked on a half mile cool.  Clean diet and I hope to see some gains tomorrow.
Distance=1.5

4/28- BTC 10 mile route from Saulter to Lakeshore then back through Brookwood.  Improved to an 85:34 (8:33 pace) and kept the pace fairly even on a route with a few moderate hills.  Well below the Mendoza line for this distance.  This was over 3 minutes faster than last week, which was done on just 1 scoop of Sarcosine so YES, there is a chance that 2+ scoops will work with a clean diet.  HR remains low at 150, which suggests there are more gears to access.  Even if I slipped to 9:00 pace for the last 5K, I still finish a half in 1:53.
Distance=10.0

4/29- Leisurely 3 mile on Jemison trail in 27:36 (9:12 pace). Did maintain pace.  Step backward because I cheated yesterday.  That confirms it.  Steady progress should start now.
Distance=3.0

-25 miles on the week

No comments: