Thursday, June 20, 2019

States to Re-Visit

This list does NOT include states that border Alabama nor does it include those in which I have family ties.  Yes, I would visit all of these WITHOUT a race option.  Here it is:

North Carolina- Blue Ridge Parkway for sure and possibly the Atlantic Coast.  There’s usually pretty reliable surf here.  It’s been a long time since I’ve visited either part of the state though I was in Asheville as recently as 2015.

Rhode Island- Yes, I was just there less than 2 months ago but I want to swim in the Ocean State.  Come August, yes it will be warm enough to do so.

Maine- Acadia National Park looks beautiful and I may very well be able to swing a trip in October that will include a visit to Quebec City.

Alaska- I saw Anchorage and Denali NP with Cara and her boyfriend in 2016 but time was limited.  I definitely want to visit areas south of Anchorage as well as Denali State Park.  Again, the time to visit is in June or July for the summer solstice. 

California- I’ve been a passenger on the Pacific Coast Hwy from Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz but that was way back in 1995.  I want to drive it myself.  Downtown LA, San Diego and possibly Tijuana are must see as well.  Yes, there are some good races in both San Diego and Santa Cruz.  Update: US-395 runs from the LA area up past Mammoth Lakes into Yosemite and eventually Tahoe.  From there, I can cut west to Santa Cruz.

Idaho- I’ve only seen the panhandle in the Coeur D’Alene area.  It was beautiful, but I feel that I’ve missed out on much of what the state has to offer.  Twin Falls is a must see.

Utah- I’ve been to St. George, Bryce Canyon and Zion but not Salt Lake, Moab or Canyonlands.

Arizona- I was here in 2015 but really could not do it justice due to uncharacteristic days of bad weather.  I did get a nice tour of Phoenix and Scottsdale but barely got any time at the Grand Canyon or Sedona.  I’d also like to cross the border in Nogales.

Texas- Another trip to the coast here (Port Aransas) is on the radar as is San Antonio and Acuna, Mexico. 

South Dakota- This is the only state that I have visited as a child but not as an adult.  Mt. Rushmore and Badlands NP are both must see attractions. 

Hawaii- State #50 marked down for 2021.

No comments: