Monday, December 9, 2019

Going to Puerto Rico

This was pretty much on an impulse.  I'm NOT racing in Utah next month.  As it stands now, I have virtually no chance of a respectable showing.  I've learned that the sugar/caffeine/alcohol is indeed A problem but not the only problem.  I need to abstain from those 3 AND skip 1-2 doses of TRS every 7-10 days.  In theory, that should stop the relapses but I have little faith that it actually will.

As it is, the plan for Utah is to fly into Salt Lake but race in St. George (SW corner) only 2 hours from Las Vegas and make a loop back to Salt Lake while catching small samples of National Parks.  The weather in St. George should be okay but Salt Lake could very well be cold and/or snowy.  If I wait until February, the average high temps are 5 degrees warmer (45 vs 40 in SLC).  Yes, there is still a risk of snow but it's less of a chance.  Add to that, the course that I would run in February is about 500 ft net downhill and there will be more daylight to view the amazing scenery.  It's a no-brainer to wait until February.  If the weather in Salt Lake is bad, it will cost a lot of money but I can switch my plans and fly into Vegas instead.  I DO want to hit Utah early in the year, which makes it a lot easier to finish all 50 by the end of the year.  It really is imperative that I do that because my days as a runner look to be numbered.  It pains me to say it but I don't even enjoy it anymore.  It feels more like a chore than a fun activity.  Getting my health under control would change everything.

Why Puerto Rico?
Several reasons.  It's affordable and easy logistically.  I got a direct flight out of Atlanta for just $300 and can take a cab to my hotel on the beach for just $10.  My hotel is actually a condo with an ocean view.  I'm sure it will be bare bones but I don't care.  As long as it's clean and has a bed, fridge and microwave, I don't care about the extra perks.  I won't be spending much time inside anyway.  I will not be staying in San Juan.  Hotels are ridiculously priced and there is a festival that weekend so it will be jam packed.  Instead, I will stay in the municipality of Carolina on Isla Verde Beach.  The beaches here look better anyway than the ones in San Juan.  The best place for surfing is actually on the west coast in the town of Rincon.  That would require a rental car.  No thanks for now.  If I like it, I can always come back and do more exploration another time.  As it is, the beach as well as many restaurants and bars will be within walking distance.  I get in early afternoon on a Friday and leave early afternoon on MLK Day so that's a good chunk of time and only 1 day off work.

What to expect?
Unlike Miami, there is virtually no chance of a freak cold front even in mid-January.  Temps are almost guaranteed to be in the low-mid-80s.  Rain is possible but this is the dry season so chancing it on the weather is not much of a risk.  Sand will be light brown with crystal clear water and tropical palm trees.  I expect that the water will be bluer than Miami but not as blue as Cancun.  As far as the surf, word on the street is that the waves will be gentle but surf-able.  In fact, there is a beginner surf school near my condo.  I will bring my inflatable boogie board.

Culture?
Puerto Rico is a US territory so my new passport will not be needed and US dollars are the currency.  Still, it will most definitely have the vibe of being in a foreign country.  People in tourist areas can speak English but Spanish is most definitely the dominant language.  The Puerto Rican accent is very distinctive so DuoLingo will not be enough to catch more than a few words here and there.  Still, my Spanish was appreciated in Mexico and I expect that it will be here as well.  Nobody will laugh at my southern accent and I might be a hit because of it.  Puerto Rico will have American chain stores such as Walgreens and even fast food restaurants such as Wendy's and KFC but I'll have to be adventurous and try some real Puerto Rican dishes at least once or twice.

In terms of ethnicity, native Puerto Ricans are a striking mix of European (mostly Iberian and Italian), Native American and sub-Saharan African with traces from the Middle East and North Africa.  I look forward to the opportunity to interact with the locals and who knows?  I might meet a friend.  Seems like a good trip plan.  If Puerto Rico ever votes for statehood, I'll have it covered already.





No comments: