Saturday, December 14, 2019

Verdict on Forbidden Drinks With TRS

After the post-Thanksgiving relapse, I got back on track last week with a determined effort to keep the diet clean and simply give my system a rest from the detox every 7-10 days.  No TRS and no other pills either.  I wasn't horrible after the missed morning dose but by the end of the day, I was hurting and demanding at least a few sprays.  By the next morning, I had an insatiable need.  5 sprays helped, 10 sprays were better but I was still nowhere near where I needed to be. 

Over the next few days, I got the usual incremental improvement from the high doses (10 sprays AM, 5 sprays PM) and made it 5 days drinking nothing but water.  On the 5th day however, things began to unravel.  I managed a 24:56 for 3 miles (8:19 pace) at lunch, which was a modest improvement over the previous day but a bit slower than I expected to be at that stage.  Something felt off too.  My mood remained low and I was fading down the stretch in my workouts.  It looked like I could go sub-24 early but had to fight to hold the sub-25.  Normally, I run negative splits when I am improving.   Still, I began feeling somewhat better over the next few hours but got decidedly WORSE after my evening dose of TRS.  Again,  this was only 5 days after my previous missed dose so it should be too early to have another reaction, right?  To play it safe, I would go with just 5 sprays going forward.

WRONG!  I had hoped to run maybe 6-8 miles at whatever pace today with the group but did not even attempt it.  It was IMMEDIATELY apparent that the TRS had caused another relapse.  Looking at yet another weekend in the dumps, it was not surprising that I cheated.  What happened next was very interesting or you could say NUTS!  After the first can of Red Bull, I actually began feeling better and was once again able to tolerate at least a few sprays of the TRS.  I wondered what would happen if I drank a 2nd can.  Not surprisingly, it made things WORSE again and I became INTOLERANT to the TRS.  Does this mean that low doses of caffeine are actually necessary to tolerate TRS but I must keep it to a narrow range such of 1 can every 3-5 days?  I sure hope not!  Here's my new plan going forward and what I expect/hope to see happen:

I will TRY to remain abstinent but I know for sure now that one or two cheat days per week won't hurt me AS LONG AS I DON'T BINGE!  Going forward however, my need/tolerance for TRS will DECREASE with every day that I am abstinent.  I may still need a missed dose every so often.  It will be NO more than 5 sprays per dose in both the morning and the afternoon no matter how much I need it after the missed dose.   When I need a missed dose, I must NOT cheat!  The need for the TRS will kick back in soon enough even without the caffeine.  When it does, the dose will be lowered by 1 spray.  Instead of 5 in the morning and evening, it will go down to 4.  I can guard against a relapse on race day by taking a missed dose 2-3 days before the big day. 

My ultimate goal is to get to a point in which I can go 3 days without the TRS and still feel okay.  At least below the Mendoza line.  Then, the effects of a single dose or 2 become negligible just like all my other pills.  This year has royally SUCKED but one MAJOR positive development is the decreased sensitivity to the other pills.  I can skip all my treatments except the TRS for several days and barely even notice.  That would have been unthinkable just 2 years ago.  Can it be possible for this scenario to occur?

-I take 2-3 sprays of TRS for preventative maintenance but a single dose has little noticeable effect.
-Same is true for Magnesium, Methyl Folate, B-complex, B-12/Liver, ADHS and CBS/NOS. 
The latter case has already happened.  I could be just 1 step away.
I've said it too many times and still stand firm.  My demands are hardly unreasonable.  Here's all I want:
-Stable cocktail of pills (it will never be zero because of genetics)
-Decent-adequate energy every day
-Steady group to run with on the weekends.  I don't care if it's the 7:00 pace group or a 10:00 pace group.  I just want the camaraderie back.  Yes, I know that someday I will be too old to run but let's hope that doesn't happen until at least my 60's, not before I turn 40.
What I just described would be considered to be "under control of my health."  In such a scenario, yes I can date and have a social life.

No comments: