Saturday, August 29, 2020

Rave: Skiing and Snowboarding

 I went skiing several times as a teenager and enjoyed it a great deal.  I was never an expert but did progress to Intermediate trails.  Now, after a long hiatus, I am interested in getting back in the game.  They say that it's like riding a bike.  You never forget how to do it but you may be a bit rusty for the first few hours.  I'll probably have to stick to the Beginner area for the first day.  

 Why did I lose interest?  I sustained a minor knee injury after falling on an icy patch.  It was late in the ski season so it was probably a mistake to go out there on that day anyway.  It proved to be nothing more than a bruise and it only cost me a couple practices during track season and a lecture from my coach about avoiding dangerous activities.  My college roommate was a pretty avid snowboarder but I never joined him on his trips.  Now, I wish that I had done so.  I was afraid of getting hurt and that fear was not overblown as my ankle was quite shaky at the time and I did not want to risk further damage.  I've since gotten a shot of prolotherapy, which was probably helpful.  As an adult, I never thought about going because I did not want to miss my weekend long run.  Now that it is unlikely that I will get back into serious running, I need something to fill the void.  

Believe it or not, there is one ski resort in Alabama, located between Fort Payne and Chattanooga so that can easily be done in a day trip.  The resort is nothing special and probably won't open until December because of the lower elevation but it could be perfect for my first day back.  The best resorts east of the Mississippi are located in western North Carolina, roughly 5.5-6.5 hours from Birmingham.  Too far for a day trip but certainly doable on a weekend trip.  Even an overnight trip is possible if I drive part way on Friday night.  I gain an hour on the way back.  Ski season typically runs from mid-late November through at least the middle of March.  

I recently saw a YouTube video about a man from Los Angeles who went skiing in the morning then surfing in the afternoon and evening.  That's DEFINITELY something that I would do.  There is a pretty good ski resort in Maggie Valley, North Carolina just outside of Asheville.  From there, I could hop on I-26 and it is only 4 hours and 15 minutes to the South Carolina coast in Charleston.  That's a bit too far for a same day trip but it can certainly be done on back to back days.  After I finish my ski session, I can drive to Greenville or preferably Columbia.  Then, it's not far to Chuck Town from there.  Water temp in Charleston never drops below 60F and in November, it may be closer to 70.  Still, I'd need at least a thin wetsuit for protection from the cold.  Santa Cruz, California is a very popular surf spot and water temps there never make it much above 60 even in the summer.  I've considered an epic California road trip that would include skiing in Lake Tahoe, Pacific Coast HWY and surfing in Malibu or Santa Monica.  

Any chance to meet some people this way?  YES.  There is a ski club in Birmingham.  Birmingham Ski Club  It looks like they have social activities and group trips as well.  Some of the trips that have been discussed include not only the Western US but South America, Austria and Switzerland.  That would be awesome!  Both Innsbruck, Austria and Grindelwald, Switzerland are on my bucket list.  I did come to one of their dinners and unfortunately, it was an older crowd but yes, there are people my age in the club.  Learning to snowboard?  Sure, I'm up for it.  Supposedly, it is harder to learn than skiing but "easier to master."

Possible Future Trips:

North Carolina can easily be done.  Breckinridge, Colorado is less than 2 hours from Denver, which is accessible on a direct flight.  Of course, there is Vail and Aspen as well.  Utah and Taos, New Mexico could be fun as well.  The one that I'd enjoy the most however appears to be Lake Tahoe.  I'll be riding down the slopes with stunning views of surrounding mountains AND the lake.

No comments: