Monday, March 15, 2021

Training 3/15-3/21

 3/15- Not pleased at all.  4 miles on Lakeshore in 37:53 (9:28 pace).  Compared to yesterday afternoon, I saw essentially no improvement.  I did double the distance but the pace was slower by 14 ticks and it would have been worse at Veteran's Park on the gravel.  Faded on the back half and it took a rally in the last quarter mile just to be under 9:30 overall.  It is looking like abstinence from the forbidden drinks will not be enough.  I may need stronger adrenal suppressants temporarily.  I have ordered Thym-Adren.  Will it arrive on schedule?  As of now, there is no way that I can finish a half mary without lots of walking. Weather looks iffy for the next 2 days.

Distance=4.0

3/16-AM- Hated interval workout at Montreat.  Half lappers plus a cool.  Ran the opener on zero ADHS pills then popped 2 pills after each interval.  Splits were 1:59-1:43-1:31-1:16.  Last week, I was crap on no pills as well but fared no better on 5 instead of 3.  Today, I was significantly better on 6 instead of 4.  WHAT THE _______!

PM- Break in the weather enabled me to do 2 after work also at Montreat.  Finished in 16:22 (8:11 pace).  Again, it was a significant improvement over yesterday with even splits this time (8:13-8:09).  To what do I attribute this gain?  Rhetorical, Farley.  Every reader should know it was the extra pills.  Problem is that even mega doses probably won't be enough to get back to respectability.  I need to try Thym-Adren.  It is supposed to arrive on Friday but will it really?

Distance=3.0

3/17- Planned rest day.  Predicted severe weather.  

3/18- Thym-Adren (strong adrenal suppressant) arrived a day earlier than expected.  Workout was the hated better with or without test.  Did 1.5 miles on just ADHS then 1.5 on Thym-Adren.  Came through the first 1.5 in an about as expected time of 12:41 (8:28 pace) then although it was not a night and day difference, I was significantly faster on 2 Thym-Adren pills.  Ran the back half in 11:19 (7:32 pace).  Stopped the watch at 24-flat but it turned 3.00 1 tick before.  Still, this does NOT count as a sub-Mendoza line performance because of the stops.  Nevertheless, I am pleased.  Significant improvement probably would have been evident on just 1 pill.  I think I'll go with 3 until further notice.  Is it over?  I highly doubt it but this is still good news.

Distance=3.0

3/19- HORRIBLE and I knew it before I started.  Hated intervals again.  3x800.  Did the opener in 5:25 then improved marginally to a 5:20 AFTER a half can of Rockstar.  This proves that forbidden drinks never were the problem.  I had already taken 3 Thym-Adren pills but that obviously was not enough.  A 4th pill brought me down to 4:45, which is MINUS 70 on a per mile basis.  Added a half mile cool.  I'm going to need mega doses for a few days then the need should diminish.  I should have seen this coming.  Probably have to scratch the long run AGAIN.  

Distance=2.0

3/20- The opener was not as horrible as I expected today.  Clocked a 1:45.6 at Montreat (10:33 pace).  Took 6 Thym-Adren pills and came back with a 59.6 (5:57 pace) for a whopping MINUS 4:36.  However, as is often the case, the ability to run a good pace in a sprint doesn't carry over to longer distances.  Real workout was the Trak Shak 3.  Distance was a little short but I already had 1/3 mile in so I didn't care.  Finished with a 9:40 pace but did manage a slight negative split.  I'd like to do 10 tomorrow and I don't care if it takes 2 hours.  The gaps will diminish as always and I'll do better in longer distances soon.  Then, a need for another pill will show up almost certainly.

Distance=3.0

3/21- Goal was 10 miles and I had to settle for 7.  Time was 75:28 (10:47 pace). I thought I was going to make it at 3.33 miles in but faded shortly thereafter.  I was just north of 50 at the 5 mile mark then the pace slowed dramatically and I decided it was not worth it to continue.  It probably would have taken 45 minutes to complete the next 3 miles.  13 days out from race day but it is still early in the adjustment period and I should do better next week.  Key word is should.

Distance=7.0

-22 miles on the week.  YTD- 194

No comments: