Monday, March 8, 2021

Training 3/8-3/14

 Only 10 miles of running last week.  Almost all of it was CRAP.  The Probiotics came yesterday.  This is the same stuff that gave me fits last summer and fall until I ditched it in favor of Lactoferrin.  I have a faint glimmer of hope after yesterday afternoon's workout.  In the morning, I could not run at all.  It took me 11 minutes to do just 1 mile.  After the Probiotics, I managed 2 in 15:52 (7:56 pace).  I passed the mile mark in 8:10 then popped an extra Probiotic and finished with a 7:42 on the back half.  I may have upped the effort a little but not by much.  Also, I felt no noticeable ill-effects from Glutathione though I did not run after taking it.  Apparently, I need BOTH Probiotics and Lactoferrin to solve the gut issues.  

3/8- AM- Lakeshore 2 in 16:34 (8:17 pace).  Another VERY positive development.  Before the Probiotics, I had disastrous results when I took either the TRS or Lactoferrin alone.  It had to be BOTH or NEITHER. The neither option worked only if I took extra the previous evening.  This morning,  I took only ADHS and still passed 1 mile in 8:23.  Took the sprays of TRS WITHOUT Lactoferrin at the turnaround and did the back half in 8:11.  That's not a significant improvement but I didn't want one.  A SINGLE DOSE should NOT have much of an effect.  The fact that I was able to maintain my pace was YUGE and would have been impossible without the Probiotics from yesterday.  Now, I will see if I can maintain the pace on Glutathione.  

Success I did it at Lunch:

Half lap at Montreat in 75.5 without Glutathione.  Jogged another half and ran the next half in 74.0.  On a per mile basis, that's a MINUS 9.  Perfect.  Not a significant gain but I just wanted to maintain.  This pill was DISASTROUS just last week.  YUGE!  Stable chemistry is something most people take for granted but for me, words can't express the difference it would make in my life.  I'm not on solid ground yet.  Two milestones left:  Avoid an adrenal spike after a caffeine binge and deliver a non-horrible performance the morning after a day without pills.  After that, I just need to maintain for at least 4 weeks before I declare victory.

PM- Back to Lakeshore for another 2.5.  Did not want to waste a beautiful evening.  Finished in 19:54 (7:58 pace).  Half mile away from the Mendoza line and I think I can do it.  This was not an all out effort either.  I was at 10:02 at the half then finished with a 9:52 and did not need a kick to get the sub-8 pace.  I was under with a quarter mile to go.    Not on solid ground yet.  I could still face an adrenal spike tomorrow or Wednesday then we will see how I do without pills for 1 day later in the week.

Distance=5.0

3/9- Crestline 3 mile.  2 loops on Dexter.  1.5 miles each.  Time was a little slow at 24:54 (8:18 pace).  No cause for alarm.  This was 20% longer than yesterday on a route with some rollers so 20 seconds slow is no big deal.  A couple of observations:  I thought about going without pills today but it was clear upon rising that ADHS (adrenal modulator) was needed so I declined to try going without pills.  I was curious to see if extra ADHS would benefit me.  It did not.  I did the first loop in 12:26 then fared no better in the 2nd loop with a 12:28 after 2 extra pills.  I may have hit another 12:26 if not for a truck backing up at the end.  Either way, it's not even close to be considered significant.  I need ADHS every day but get no additional benefit beyond 3 pills.  I suppose that is good news.  Now, tomorrow we'll see about the caffeine withdrawal.  I binged over the last 4 days but that's part of the plan.  Hopefully, there will be no adrenal spike thanks to Probiotics and I may not be as dependent on the ADHS if I'm off caffeine.   

Distance=3.0

3/10- Curious findings.  Yesterday's caffeine binge (4th day on caffeine) did not seem to hurt me during the workout and I fared no better on extra ADHS.  Today, it was a totally different story.  I don't think it was withdrawal because the symptoms showed up within 15 hours of my last dose (it shouldn't hit for 24-48 hours) and taking another dose after the ill-fated workout did nothing to relieve the symptoms.  Instead, it was an adrenal spike.  

AM workout hoping to beat the withdrawal symptoms was not to be.  Hoping to run 4 miles, I had to settle for 2 in a turtle time of 20:56 (10:28 pace) with splits of 9:50-11:06.  Felt no better after another dose of caffeine.  In fact, I was probably worse.  Went out on my lunch for laps at Montreat and clocked a 3:49 1st lap BUT  This time I did fare better on extra ADHS.  A lot better too.  Just 2 additional pills and I was down to a much less horrible 3:11.  On a per mile basis, that's a MINUS 1:54.  Added a lap for a cool down.  

Reaction:

Still not sure what to make of this.  Most likely, caffeine will be tolerated on a limited basis but binges are not allowed.  Yes, I know it is not good for me but it was part of the plan to experiment.  I needed to know what, if any changes would occur after the Probiotics.  Probiotics combined with Lactoferrin will likely allow for occasional sugared drinks but not caffeine in any form.  No drinks or pills.   Now, I want to know if I will be less dependent on ADHS after I am off caffeine.  Perhaps next week, I can deliver the non-horrible performance the morning after a day without any pills.  Also, I am hoping that the adrenal spike fades and I'll be up for a workout by tomorrow evening.

Distance=3.0 

3/11- No real withdrawal symptoms and the adrenal spike is beginning to die down.  Enough daylight to run the Canterbury loop.  3.5 miles plus a half mile cool.  Finished in 32:24 (9:15 pace), which is a massive improvement over yesterday morning.  Could have done better if I took extra ADHS but this was done on just 3 such pills.  Pace was very even all the way through despite rather hilly terrain.  Actually, even splits indicate a mild fade because the back half is mostly down but I'm still okay with this.  Hopefully by the weekend, I'll be ready to go 10.

Distance=4.0

3/12- Planned rest day.

3/13- FAILED again.  This time, alcohol was the culprit and it was hardly a binge.  Curcumin was supposed to stop that but apparently it failed.  Turned around after just a half mile and completed the full mile in 11:14.

Distance=1.0

3/14- AM- 2 miles on Lakeshore in 21:42 (10:51 pace).  Better than yesterday.  Pace was crap from the start but I was able to hold it and managed a slight negative split.  

PM- Another 2 miles this time at Veteran's Park.  Improved to 18:28 (9:14 pace) with splits of 9:21-9:07 so I again have a glimmer of hope.  No more than 1 cheat day per week with either caffeine or alcohol and none until further notice.

Distance=4.0

-20 miles on the week.  YTD- 170

No comments: