Saturday, October 1, 2022

Training 10/1-10/9

 10/1- 8 miles in 89:30 (11:11 pace).  I went with a 4:1 jog/walk ratio.  After a slow start, I found a nice groove from Mile 2-5.  I tied up a bit in Mile 6 but was able to jog non-stop for the last 1.9 miles albeit at a pace not much faster than the walk/jog,  I think Mile 8 was around 10:30.  When I finished, I was pretty much spent and it became clear later on that the adrenals were spiked.  Still, even if I had to slow walk for 5 miles beyond that (20:00 pace), I still finish in 3:10 with a full 20 minutes to spare.  6 weeks out and if the race was today, I would have made it!  Again, it doesn't matter to me whether my time is 2:10 or 3:10.  It's gonna suck and I want to remain in relative comfort as long as I can.

Distance=8.0

10/2- 3 miles at Railroad Park.  Finished in 27:18 (9:06 pace) and felt pretty comfortable all the way.  I think I've only been under 27 a couple times all year and I could have done it today if I really pushed it.  Splits were 13:45-13:33.  This is a hair below 2 hour pace for a half mary.  I think I could have held it for another 1-1.5 miles but not longer.  Even if I see big improvements in the next 6 weeks, I will NOT try to race Hawaii all out.

Distance=3.0

10/3- Planned rest day.  Last thing I need at this stage is an injury because I pushed too hard.

10/4- 3 miles on Lakeshore.  Improved to 26:45 (8:55 pace).  MINUS 11.  I'll take it.  It's better than the alternative but I did hope for a little better out there.  Felt about the same and once again managed a slight negative split though I did push just a tad harder at the end.  Splits were 13:28-13:17.  I felt like something was missing and perhaps I still need that Stress Pak.  There is only one goal remaining and that is to finish in Hawaii.  I'm on track to do that.

Distance=3.0

10/5- Cut the distance back to 2 miles only because I was late.  Improved to 16:34 (8:17 pace).  I figure that translates to a sub-8 for 1 mile and no worse than 8:40 for 3 miles so that's a bigger improvement compared to yesterday.  Perhaps the Stress Pak did make a small difference.  I've re-ordered it but it won't arrive for another 5 days.  No big deal.  I can get along okay without it.  I'm closing in on the Mendoza line.  Can I run sub-8 pace for 3 miles once before Hawaii?

Distance=2.0

10/6- Only 1 mile because it was all I had time to do.  I was curious to see what I could do without the pills.  I predicted a time in the low-mid 9s and I finished in a somewhat encouraging 9:14.  Yes, I was significantly weakened but did not collapse.  Splits were 4:40-4:34.  Can I get through a weekend without pills?  Not for a while.  

Distance=1.0

10/7- Planned rest day

10/8- Elective rest day.  Road trip to Texas

10/9-  Not good.  Planned to run 4-5 miles non-stop and settled for 1 on the Texas beach.  Finished in 10:36.  OUCH!  When I got home, to my relief, I was better after taking Stress Pak.

Distance=1.0

-18 miles

No comments: