Monday, January 23, 2023

Expectations

 Just over 1 month into my comeback, I've achieved the following times:

400- 1:40.5

Mile- 8:16.4

5K- 29:13

This was done on a total of 34 miles, or just a hair more than 1 mile per day.  My longest run has been a 5K plus a cool for a total of 3.5 miles.  That is EXTREMELY light and I will certainly improve with higher volume.  It must be done gradually.  I did 12 miles last week and I'll shoot for 15 this week.  By the end of February, I should be logging 20 MPW consistently.  By the end of April, I hope to be up to 30.

What kind of times can I expect by the end of May?

400- Under 90

Mile- Low 7s

5K- High 25- Low 26

Again, my bare ass minimum standard for racing is a sub-60 10K.  If I can get the mileage up, I like my chances.  In fact, I'll go as far as to say that I am almost certain that I can do it ONCE.  Many big time marathons have a companion 5K and/or 10K and yes, I'm willing to travel for that especially during a vacation.  Would I make a special trip?  Probably not a fly away but if it's within driving distance, yes.

I won't run a half marathon unless I think I can break 2 hours.  I'll give myself a 50/50 chance of that.  Would I like to run a full marathon again?  YES but only if I can break 4 hours.  I am NOT optimistic about my chances there.  

What is more important than my PRs is CONSISTENCY!  Again, I'm confident in my ability to run semi-respectable times ONCE but can I do it regularly?  Let's say it's the end of May and I'm only running a 27 minute 5K and a 7:45 Mile  BUT even on a bad day, I can still manage a sub-8:15 and a sub-29.  That would actually be preferable to a situation in which I can run a 24:xx on a good day but can't break 30 on a bad day.  In the former, I am better on my worst day in May than I am on my best day in January.  That would be REAL progress.

Today's afternoon session confirmed that Probiotics are spiking my adrenals.  I do believe that adrenal spikes are part of the healing process and I'll have to deal with them.  I do hope that they will become less severe over time.  I was a full 90 seconds slower per mile after the 3 Probiotics.  Let's project that to my Mile and 5K times:

Mile- 9:46, 5K-33:45.  OUCH!  Still, that's better than my 36:55 nightmare on New Years Eve.  If I'm still under 31 (sub-10 pace) on my worst day, that's progress.  

I'm going with 6 Probiotics (3 morning/3 evening) but no more than 3 Thym-Adren.  It is possible that my need for Thym-Adren will diminish with time.  It always has.  The probiotics will be part of my long-term solution but hopefully at a reduced dose.


No comments: