Monday, January 30, 2023

Training 1/30-2/5

 1/30- AM- 3x 1 lap at Montreat:

No adrenal support- 4:06 (12:18 pace)

1 Stress Pak- 3:48 (11:24 pace) MINUS 54

1 Thym-Adren- 3:33 (10:39 pace)  MINUS 45

GEEZ!  I never thought I would do THIS badly without adrenal support.  Even with the full dose of 3 Thym- Adren, I still didn't feel good.  This is clearly another adrenal spike.  What triggered it?  I don't know!  Clearly, I need to increase the Stress Pak.  

PM- 2 miles easy on Lakeshore.  Forgot the watch so I ran it naked.  I figure that the pace was well over 10, maybe even over 11.  Do I simply have to deal with these adrenal spikes periodically?  Is there anything more that I can do to reduce the severity?  At least for the time being, I will reduce the Probiotics and increase the Stress Pak.  Will I see any gains from increased Thym-Adren?  I'll try it.  At least I got through the distance and I'll be glad I did at the end of the week.

Distance=3.0

1/31- AM.  Found the culprit last night.  It was an amino acid called Glutamine, which I had been taking regularly for the past few days after doing so only rarely before this.  I planned to finish the bottle and be done with it.  You could say that I took it to get rid of it.  Why did it trigger the adrenal spike?  Still not sure but the smart money is that it is related to gut health.  At any rate, I'll lay off it and I should be better in a day or so.  Did half lappers at Montreat.

On nothing- 1:48 (10:48 pace)

Red Bull- 1:33 (9:18 pace)  MINUS 90

Added a naked cool down at a very slow pace.

SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER AFTER SLAMMING A RED BULL??????  One of the worst things you can do for an adrenal spike and gut health!!    What the _______ is up with that??????

I should be well enough to do a standard issue workout this evening.  It won't be pretty but I'll finish it.

PM- No complaints about this one.  Lakeshore 2.5 in 24:08 (9:39 pace).  Again, that's probably about what I should be doing on my easy days.  Smooth and relaxed with an even pace and no attempt to kick at the end.  Splits were 12:03-12:05.  Can't get much more even than that.

Distance=3.0

2/1- Another very positive step.  4 miles in 37:32 (9:23 pace).  I wanted to go beyond the 5K distance without a meltdown and I did it today.  1st half was 18:50, 2nd half was 18:42.  The back half is slightly downhill and it may have been precisely even until a mild pickup in the last quarter mile.  Just wanted to prove that I had something left and I certainly did.  Can I break 60 for 10K?  All I had to do was maintain a 10:00 pace for another 2.2 miles.  I like my chances.

Distance=4.0

2/2- Planned rest day.  Rain is in the forecast all day.  

2/3-AM 400 meters at Vestavia in 86.6 (PR).  I am progressing ahead of schedule.  Granted, my previous PR was over a month ago, but this was a 14 second improvement.  I believe I can do better.  I've done virtually no speed work and the temperature was barely above freezing.  I passed 200 in 41.x so the back half was around 45-flat.  I'd like to see that a little more even but that's still not bad.  Added a warm and cool for a 1 mile session.  Maybe, I can squeeze in 1-2 this afternoon.

This is a 5:46 pace for the Mile so my current time of 8:16 looks awfully soft.  As for the 400, I think a sub-80 is within reach.  Getting under 75 as an over-40 runner would be a pretty solid effort. 

PM- 1 mile junk run at Montreat.  Probably did nothing for my fitness but I'm glad I did it.  I'm off to North Carolina for skiing.  If I can't do any running tomorrow, I only need 3 on Sunday instead of 4.

Distance=2.0 

2/4- Elective rest day.  Good day on the slopes. I may be sore tomorrow but intend to be out there.

2/5- 3 mile Trak Shak loop in 26:50 (8:57 pace).  Good 1st and 3rd mile but slowed in Mile 2 probably because of the hills. My PR for the 5K is only a 29:13 and this projects to a sub-28.  It cannot count as a PR however because the distance is uncertified and I had to stop a few times at intersections because of traffic.  This route does have a few decent sized hills so even with the stops, it probably nets out about even.

Distance=3.0

-15 miles on the week and I am clearly improving now.  YTD- 52

I will try again to address my gut health starting next week so I might hit a rough patch.  I'll shoot for 18 miles.  


No comments: