Monday, January 23, 2023

Training 1/23-1/29

 1/23- Vestavia Mile in 8:16.4 (PR).  That's a 34 second improvement over my previous best.  Sounds about right.  Slightly more than a 1 minute gap between my Mile and my 5K pace.  The gap does shrink to maybe 45-50 seconds when I'm in top shape.  I had uncharacteristic bad splits.  Normally, my first and last laps are about even and though I slow down a bit in laps 2-3, my 1st half and 2nd half are about even.  Today, the splits were 1:56-2:07-2:12-2:01.  I'm not in sub-8 shape yet but with an even pace I do think I can run 8:06-8:08.  My biggest concern is that I still feel quite over-stimulated.  Without the Thym-Adren, I would have been ugly.  Just how ugly?  I'll find out later in the week.  Added a half mile cool.  May or may not run this evening.  

PM- 3xl lap test intervals at Montreat.  All 3 were run at standard training effort.

No pills- 2:58 (8:54 pace)

3 Probiotics- 3:28 (10:24 pace)

1 Thym Adren- 3:20 (10:00 pace).

This confirms what I have suspected.  Probiotics increase my demand for Thym-Adren.  I wish I had taken 3 Thym-Adren because just 1 was barely enough to be considered significant. Still, I felt noticeably better and I'm sure that 2 additional pills would get me close to 3:00.  I hope that this is just a temporary reaction.  I'll have a full post up soon.

Distance=2.5

1/24- 2 miles easy on Lakeshore in 19:56 (9:58 pace).  I'm fine with this.  Adrenals are spiked but I didn't feel too awful.  Even pace and did not need a kick at the end.  Felt comfortable but couldn't pick up much speed.  I figure with my current fitness level, I should be doing a 9:40-9:45ish on my easy days so this was only just a tad slow.

Distance=2.0

1/25- 3 miles on North Lakeshore in 28:06 (9:22 pace).  Very good.  This was only ONE second slower than my 5K PR pace and I was not even close to full out effort.  1st half was 13:56, 2nd half was 14:10.  The back half is slightly net uphill so I'd say that's still a pretty even pace.  I think I can come close to the bare ass minimum standard for the 10K.  I'll try it soon but I'll aim for 5 this weekend.

Distance=3.0

1/26- Planned rest day.  I deserve it.

1/27- Lakeshore 2.5 in 22:55 (9:10 pace).  Even pace and felt comfortable except for a bit of stomach cramps.  Getting better every day.

Distance=2.5

1/28- Trak Shak 5 mile loop.  It's been a long time since I've run this route so this was a welcome change from Lakeshore.  Finished in 48:56 (9:47 pace).  Mixed feelings.  This is my longest run since before Hawaii so I'm pleased that I finished and did so in just about the time that I expected.  I was NOT pleased by how badly I faded.  I passed the halfway point at 23:30, give or take.  That's just a hair slower than 5K pace and I felt pretty comfortable through the first half.  The wheels came off in Mile 4 and it took a homestretch rally to secure the sub-49.  Most likely, I just need more mileage.  Simple as that.

Distance=5.0

1/29- Planned rest day.  I've already hit my limit on the week.

-15 miles.  YTD: 37

I need to increase that total but it must be done gradually.  Next week will be rainy so it will be tough to hit 15 again. I plan to increase every other week.  If I did a 10K with my current fitness, I predict a time around 62 minutes.  Not good enough but I am within shouting distance on a per mile basis.

No comments: