Saturday, January 7, 2023

Training 1/1-1/15

 I was in Costa Rica from 1/1 through 1/5 and needed a day to recover from the trip.  As I predicted, I was able to get a couple of junk runs in.  One was a 1.5 miler out and back on the road.  The other was a 1 miler on the beach itself.  Paces were steady in the low-mid 9s but my legs were very stiff and sore.  I had been slacking on taking the methylation support and didn't even pack it for the trip.  While I did feel noticeably weaker by the last day, it did NOT wreck the trip.  

This actually makes me feel a little better about my situation.  I know now that I never had a chance of finding a stable cocktail until I addressed the autoimmune issues but I still need the methylation support at least occasionally.  I thought that perhaps I no longer needed it but in fact I do.  All the struggles that I faced in finding the right cocktail of methylation support was a false hope, but it was NOT all in vain either.  

Distance=2.5

1/7- Repeated the New Year's Eve 5K time trial at Vestavia Hills.  Improved from a 36:55 to a much less pitiful 31:24 (PR).  My bare ass minimum standard for racing again is a 10K below 60 minutes (9:40 pace for 6.2).  Today, I did 3.1 @ 10:06 pace.  It looks like I now have a realistic chance of achieving this goal.  Can I do with consistency and maintain it until I turn 50?  I've never negative split a 5K in a race setting but I did it today with a 1st half in 15:55 and a 2nd half in 15:29, which included a 2:11 last go-round.

Distance=3.5

1/8- Elective rest day due to rain.  Adrenals appear to have spiked again.

1/9- Junk run.  Laps around a soccer field in Mountain Brook while waiting for pizza.  Exact distance is unknown but the time was slightly over 10 minutes, so figure about 1 Mile give or take a couple ticks.  The adrenals have NOT spiked.  I have a mild virus.  It probably would have been better if I did not run today.  Fever is gone but I am very weak and slightly congested.

Distance=1.0

1/10- Another junk run.  Nude mile this time at Montreat.  I had jury duty this week but was not selected.  I expect to be almost back to normal tomorrow.

Distance=1.0

1/11- NOT GOOD.  Unplanned rest day.  Fever hit 101 this evening.

1/12- Fever is down to 99 but I am extremely weak and bedridden.  Massive headache due to sinus pressure. This might be COVID.

1/13- Felt about the same but at least I was able to go out and pick up food for lunch.

1/14- Much better.  Nasty cough remains with some residual crud.  No doctor visit necessary.  I'm going to be okay.  Maybe could have junked a mile but took an elective rest day.

1/15- 2 miles on Lakeshore.  Did surprisingly well.  Finished in 18:50 (9:25 pace) with even splits.  Even with the crud and 4 days off, I'm sure that I would have beaten last week's 5K.  I don't think I could have broken 30 but I'm close.

Distance=2.0

-10 miles total.

No comments: