Saturday, March 4, 2023

Road Trips 3: Upper South

 I've thoroughly explored this region and have been to each of these states countless times.  

Arkansas- Probably my least visited state of this group but it's an underrated gem.  My first visit came in 2004 but it was little more than a drive through from Memphis to Texarkana.  I made the strict standard in 2006 with a stop at the high point in Mount Magazine (2743 feet).  My race here came in 2011 at the White River half in Mountain Home.  I've spent a couple nights in West Memphis on road trips because I wanted to get across the river as well as Pine Bluff on a alternate route back from Texas.  I toured Little Rock for the first time in 2014 on my way back from Tulsa and returned in 2020 on my way back from Oklahoma.  I went hiking in Hot Springs NP and Pinnacle Mountain just outside of Little Rock.  

Tennessee- One of my favorite states.  I only wish that it had a beach.  My first visit here came in 2002 on a family trip to Gatlinburg.  I've been back there many times, most recently for skiing.  Other cities that I have visited several times include Chattanooga, Nashville and Memphis plus several other small towns.  All 3 have plenty to offer.  In Chattanooga, see Lookout Mountain, Rock City and Ruby Falls as well as the Incline.  Nashville has Broadway and Country music museums.  Memphis is probably my favorite of the 3 to visit with Beale Street, Graceland, and several Blues and Rock museums.  This state also has some beautiful parks with waterfalls that are especially awesome in the Fall.  3 half marathons here and my favorite was Memphis St. Jude.

North Carolina- Beautiful beaches and mountains.  What more can I ask for?  My first visit was little more than a drive through in 1991 and I didn't meet the strict standard until 2002 for white water rafting in Cherokee.  In terms of cities, I've been to Asheville and Charlotte several times but have only briefly visited Raleigh.  However, nature is what makes this state stand out.  I've been on the Blue Ridge Parkway many times and drove the whole thing in 2005.  Mount Mitchell edges out NH's Mt. Washington as the highest point in the East.  I've gone skiing 3 times at Cataloochee in Maggie Valley and tubing in Boone.  Unfortunately, the beaches are a little too far for regular visits but I've been to the Outer Banks and Carolina Beach, near Wilmington.  Both have more consistent surf.  I've done a half in Charlotte and a 10K in Asheville.  

Virginia- The first family vacation that I remember clearly was Virginia Beach in 1987.  I wanted to go back on my own terms for years and finally made it in 2022.  My sister lived in the DC suburbs for a few years so we spent Christmas there during that time.  Other cities that I have visited include Charlottesville, Roanoke, Bristol, Mt. Vernon, Richmond, Norfolk and Colonial Williamsburg.  TONS of historical museums here including the homes of Washington and Jefferson.  In addition to Virginia Beach, I've caught waves in Chincoteague Island and spent a night in Cape Charles on the Eastern Shore.  Outside of the DC metro area, the predominant culture is still southern but the Tidewater region has a much different vibe than Appalachia.  Race was in Roanoke in 2014.  

Kentucky- Made the strict standard in 2004 with a stop at the state Capitol in Frankfort.  I've also been to Louisville, Lexington and Bowling Green.  Though I'd classify Kentucky as fully southern, the western half has a much different vibe than the eastern part.  Appalachia is beautiful but unfortunately, it still has quite a bit of poverty.  Highlights include Churchill Downs, Louisville slugger factory, Bourbon tasting, Corvette museum and horse farms.  Race was Run the Bluegrass in 2015 and I'd like to race in Louisville at some point.   

West Virginia- First visit here came in the 1980s at Wheeling.  I've been to dog racing at Wheeling Downs and Oglebay Park.  Other cities visited include Morgantown, Huntington, Summersville, Beckley and Charleston.  Like North Carolina, scenery is what makes this state.  Options include rafting, New River Gorge, Spruce Knob and Dolly Sods.  Snowshoe is considered one of the best ski resorts in the East.  I've never been there but have been to Winterplace, outside of Beckley. I'd classify this state as predominantly southern.  The northern panhandle is a hybrid of the Northeast and Midwest but southern accents can be heard as far north as Morgantown, just a few miles from the PA border.    

  

No comments: