Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Road Trips 4: Deep South and Florida

Louisiana-

All over.  Cities that I have seen include Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria, Bogalusa, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, New Orleans and Grand Isle.  It's a good stopping point to break up a trip to Texas.  First visit came in 2003 to New Orleans.  I was nearly robbed but had a funny story to tell about it.  The police officer approached my new companion and said "Hey.  How you doin'.  Didn't know you were giving tours."  A better trip came in 2009 to Baton Rouge when I set a PR in a half marathon and placed in my age group.  I would race in New Orleans again in 2012 at the Crescent City Classic but it was not until my third visit in 2022 that I began to somewhat like the city. 

All the other cities listed were stop overs on my way to/from Texas.  I felt right at home at a bar in Bogaloosa but just an hour south, I felt out of place in Cajun Country.  I captured a beautiful sunset in Lake Charles and actually caught some waves in Grand Isle.   

Mississippi- 
Memphis suburbs, Jackson, Gulfport, Ship Island, Natchez, Greenville, Vicksburg, Tupelo, Meridian, Columbus.
Again, my first visit came in 2003 to Gulfport.  I was unimpressed by the beaches there but if you are willing to cruise to Ship Island, you'll find clear water that is good for swimming.  There's not much to see in Jackson but the northern suburbs are pretty nice.  That's where I raced in 2010.  Tupelo is one of my favorite small cities and I found VERY friendly people there.  Don't miss the Elvis museums.  Meridian, Columbus and Natchez are worth a quick look but I highly recommend seeing the Civil War battlefield in Vicksburg.  It's a pretty cool town too.     

Alabama- 
Huntsville, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Selma, Auburn, Mobile, Gulf Shores.
My home since 2006 and I think that I have stepped foot in every county even if it was only to get gas.  For tourists, here is what I recommend:  The beaches in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are just as nice as the ones across the border in Florida.  There are some gripping Civil Rights museums in Selma, Montgomery and Birmingham.  There is also Space Center in Huntsville. My first visit here was in 1992 for a Junior Olympic race in Mobile.  

Florida- 
Key West, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Okeechobee, Tampa, Clearwater, Sarasota, Sanibel, Perry, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Apalachicola, Panama City, Pensacola.
First visit here came in the mid-80s to Disney World.  We returned in 1990 to Sanibel Island then again in 1991 to Disney again.  I began exploring this state on my own in 2004 with a beach hopping trip from Jacksonville to Panama City.  I've been all the way up and down both coasts from Ft. Myers to Pensacola and Key West to Fernandina.  I've also toured some off the beaten path areas such as the Big Bend and Forgotten Florida.  Both have more of a native vibe.  


Georgia- 
Atlanta, Savannah, Columbus, Valdosta, Brunswick, Macon, Tifton, Rome, Athens, Augusta.
First visit was in 2000 to the Columbus area.  It's a surprisingly diverse geographical state with beaches and mountains and the big city of Atlanta.  Savannah is one of my favorite cities to visit.  Its beaches are often overlooked because of neighboring Florida and South Carolina and though its mountains are not quite as high as North Carolina, there are still some beautiful spots in the northern part of the state.  Though both are solidly southern, the vibe in South Georgia is much different than North Georgia.

South Carolina- 
Greenville, Clemson, Anderson, Columbia, Charleston, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach
Lived here from 2003-2006.  I have probably visited every county here as well.  My first visit came in 1991 to Myrtle Beach and I fell in love with the state.  In Greenville, everything that I wanted to do was just a day trip away.  Mountains, beach, big cities.  All within 3 hours.  Charleston is one of my favorite cities and I spent many happy hours at Isle of Palms.  I haven't extensively toured Columbia but came away with a more favorable impression in 2022


No comments: