Thursday, February 8, 2024

Newfoundland and Toronto Trip Plan

 I'm not sure if I can swing this one in 2024 but it's still fun to make tentative plans.  I'll probably have to choose between this one and Alaska.  My parents have a family trip planned for mid-June and I certainly will not miss that even if the location is not on my radar.  Speaking of which, Newfoundland probably would not be on my bucket list if it was not the only Canadian province that I have yet to visit.  That said, the North Dakota/Manitoba/Saskatchewan trip last summer turned out better than expected.  I could be pleasantly surprised again.  There's really not enough there to make a single trip worthwhile so the plan is to combine it with another location.  I thought about an overnight layover to break up a trip to Europe and reduce the jet lag.  That's probably not a bad idea but logistically, Toronto works better.  

Day 1- Leave B'ham early to get to Atlanta in time for a mid-afternoon flight to Toronto.  Hopefully, I get in by early evening.  I almost have to take an overnight layover in Toronto.  Otherwise, I don't get into Newfoundland until 1:00AM.  Fortunately, Toronto does have a hotel inside its airport.

Day 2- Early morning flight to St. John's.  I should get in around noon.  If I had planned to stick to the downtown area, I would not even rent a car but as it is, yes I will need one.  I've driven in Canada many times without any problems but in this case, I will need a navigation system.  There are at least two sites away from town that I want to see.  One is the nearest beach.  The other is about a 15 minute drive to Cape Spear.  The latter is the easternmost point in North America.  If it's not totally overcast, a sunrise could be really cool.  The best time to go is definitely May-September.  Even then, the weather may not be so great.  High temps may not hit 70 and it's liable to be rainy and windy.  

Day 3- Fly back to Toronto after a fun night out on the town.  There are a ton of bars downtown in St. John's and I'm sure that I will attract attention with my southern accent.  Hopefully the flight won't be too early in case I missed a couple of spots the previous day.  Signal Hill looks AWESOME! At the same time, I want to get to Toronto at a decent hour too.  No need to rent a car here.  There is public transportation to downtown that is connected to the airport.  

Day 4- Full day in Toronto.  I went there with my parents way back in 1998 and I'm sure it's changed.  I want to see the CN Tower, Nathan Phillips Square, the Hockey HOF and a Blue Jays game.  Tough to cram all that in one day but I've done similar stuff before.  

Day 5 - Shoot for an early afternoon flight back to Atlanta.  If I can do that, I should have no trouble getting back to Birmingham that evening.

No comments: