Monday, February 9, 2009

training Feb. 8-14 (taper week)

Feb.8- Quarter marathon at half marathon race pace. Very even splits:7:24-7:30 then sprinted the final lap in a blazing 74 seconds. Overall time of 48:19 or mid-1:36 pace with almost no energy spent until the sprint. Good workout. I'm ready to go.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=7.0
Feb.9- 5 miles easy running. Time of 39-flat was on target. Slowed just a tad in the 2nd half and my form got a little sloppy. Still a decent easy workout.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0
Feb.10- planned rest day. Mileage is a bit high for the taper week. Tomorrow will be my last quality workout and the rest will be easy jogs until race day. Weight is down again to 146.
Feb.11- 1600-1200-800-400 plus warmup and cooldown. Horrible performance. Mile was a weak 6:14 then went sharply downhill. Could not better 1:45 in my last 400. 3 days removed from a 74 last lap of a quarter marathon? That sucks. It's either excess inhibitory neurotransmitters or continuing Mn/Cr issues or both. I have 3.5 days to fix this or I am guaranteed to suck on race day and may even pull out. Last year, I had setbacks the week before race day almost every time and turned in 6 out of 6 above average races. This is nothing new for me. Very depressed not only because of a bad run but body is out of balance.
Grade:D/2 credits/distance=3.0
Feb.12- MUCH better. Calf and groin were still a little sore but got relief after taking chromium and a very small amount of manganese. It seems that the inhibitory neurotransmitters may not be a problem after all. I can't take those pills every day because it stimulates my already overactive thyroid so I will be careful to take as little as necessary. I remain 10 pounds underweight but that's better than being sore and depressed all the time. As for the workout:
2.5 miles in 17:18, comfortable 7-flat pace until last 200 which I ran in 39. A little fast for being so close to race day but I needed to test myself to make sure the formula will work for me.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=3.0
Feb.13- Did not take any additional chromium and paid the price. 2 miles easy running timed in about 15:30. 1st mile was around 7:30 then slowed to 8:00. I was actually pushing it a bit just to hit 8-flat and the pace was slowing rapidly. Calves and shins felt like lead. I am now just 36 hours away from race day and turned in one of the worst performances since starting this blog.
If I take no action, I'll probably DNF. If I overload with chromium, my thyroid will get worse and I will suck. I may end up with a DNF either way.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=2.0
Feb.14- drove up to Birmingham. No running but feeling better and still hopeful. Anything can happen tomorrow. I may not know if my formula is good until I am about 3 miles into the race.
Weekly summary: In terms of GPA, this is the 2nd worst week on record and my lowest mileage total yet but the latter is not important on a taper week. I will race tomorrow and do the best I can. If I do end up with a DNF, it's not the end of the world.
Distance=20.0/Weekly GPA=16.1/7 credits= 2.300

No comments: