Tuesday, March 24, 2009

training Mar. 22-28 (race week)

3/22- planned rest day. I did have enough energy to run by chose not to because I am tapering.
3/23- elective rest day. Hoping to give my sore lungs a rest from running. I would not be doing much running anyway so this should not hurt me very much. Still can't get rid of cough.
3/24- Light but satisfying and interesting workout. I planned to go 2.5-3 at tempo pace and saw that I was under 4 for the first kilometer (sub-20 pace for 5K) so I stopped after the first mile after a 4th lap in a fairly comfortable 78 for an overall time of 6:05 (best time of '09). I know that time isn't much to be proud of but a new year best still feels good. I walked a lap then ran an untimed 2 mile at a comfortable pace (I'm guessing it was low-mid 7 pace). Tomorrow's workout will be much more serious. Still coughing up phlegm and had a rather scary afternoon low. Perked up after drinking Red Bull ( I am either sleep deprived or low on GABA). Weight is steady at 146.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=3.0
3/25- Still coughing up phlegm, milder afternoon low between 1-3. Maybe my lunch just didn't agree with me. I was fine by 5:30 and ready to go. I did gain another half pound so I'm edging my way back up toward 150. Workout was a 5 mile time trial, which I use as an estimate of my capability for a 10K race. Finished in 34:37- #3 all time and :19 shy of a PR (I consider 35-flat to be above average). I went for a PR from the get go and just didn't quite have enough.
Stats: 6:48-6:54-6:58-7:05-6:51= 34:37. 1st half-17:10, 2nd half 17:27- not bad there. Form got a bit sloppy, groin and hamstring are tender, body felt a bit too loose (hyper). Good job overall. Very easy tomorrow, rest Friday. I will not concede a PR on Saturday.
Grade:A-/3 credits/distance=5.5
3/26- 2 miles ASAP (as slowly as possible). Time was embarrassing and didn't feel well at all. I really didn't expect much though and was not disappointed.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=2.0
3/27- drove to Mobile, no running but feeling better.
3/28- Azalea Trail 10K in 43:42, details in race report.
Grade:B/4 credits/distance=7.5
Weekly summary: Not a bad week overall. Low mileage but very high intensity. That changes from this point until marathon race day. I thought that I'd be fully recovered by now but I'm stuck at about 95% efficiency. Again, I would rather be stuck at 2008 levels and be consistent than wild ups and downs with an occasional excellent time such as the Mercedes half.
Distance= 18.0/ GPA= 27.1/9 credits= 3.011 (highest in 4 weeks)

No comments: