Sunday, March 8, 2009

training March 8th-14th

3/8- 4 miles in 30:20 (15:06-15:14). Solid improvement over yesterday. Lungs still felt a bit tight but I wasn't coughing as much. I should be in PR shape soon. 10K time right now would be in the 47s or less than a minute/mile from a PR. Not half bad.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=4.0
3/9- 6 miles in 44:56 (7:29 pace). Opened with 2 strong 7:20 splits then it got hard. Still breathing very heavily and coughing afterward. Still an improvement over yesterday but not the improvement that I had hoped for. There may be some residual crud in my system for several weeks, which means that my string of PR races may be over. I would be high 46 right now in a 10 K race. That needs to come down more than 4 minutes in less than 3 weeks.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=6.0
3/10- Easy 7.5 miler. Time was 59:30. Average pace was 8:00 until the final lap, which I ran in 90 seconds. Showed some surprising life there but still slowed down in the middle to as slow as 8:07. Breathing was improved but pace was slower. Lungs are raw from coughing so much and there is blood in my phlegm. No doubt that the antibiotics have thrown my system for a loop. I've lost 6 pounds since this ordeal and still have to force myself to eat. Lenient grading on a planned easy day. If this was a quality workout, I probably would have had my "C" stuff.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=7.5
3/11- short interval workout, first one of the year and my body didn't like it very much. 8x200 in about 36 seconds. I was going as fast as I could but my legs just were not used to that speed and would not move. My fastest one was my last, which was run in 32. In my first running life, I could do this workout in close to 30 seconds and do my last in about 27-28. Only good news was that my body was not tired at the end of it and it didn't feel like a very hard workout. I probably could have done 12 instead of 8. Only 1 antibiotic pill remaining. Yes!
Grade:C+/2 credits/distance=2.5
3/12- In between easy and tempo 5 miler with a fast finish. Overall time was 38-flat and never slowed beyond 7:45 pace. Final quarter was a fast and controlled 90 seconds. I am probably in shape to run about a mid-36 in a 5 mile, which translates to a sub-46 10K. If I can get back under 45, it would still be a decent effort and I have another 2 weeks to prepare.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0
3/13-planned rest day.
3/14- planned a 20 miler and was out of gas after 7. Ended up at 7.5 miles in about 64 minutes and my last half mile was over 9 minute pace and slowing rapidly so I called it quits. This is clearly a thyroid/adrenal issue. Did the antibiotics throw me off? Maybe. How long before I regain the form I had at Mercedes? I don't know. Weight is down to 143, which is the lowest it has been since 2002 when I was on thyroid medication. No more chromium until further notice.
Grade:F/2 credits/distance=7.5
Weekly summary: Pretty depressing week overall after being upbeat last week in spite of the circumstances. I've got a race to run in 2 weeks and as of now, since it's only a 10K, I will finish but my time will suck.
Distance=32.5/ Weekly GPA: 18.3/9 credits=2.033

No comments: