Sunday, March 1, 2009

training March 1-7

3/1- Worst workout so far this year. Weight has dropped to 145. That's 10 pounds below my target. Didn't feel great early but managed a fairly relaxed 7:50 pace for the 1st 2 miles then it was time to stick a fork in me. I got nasty cramps so I decided to walk a lap and take a breather. Then, I tried to run again and I could not even sustain a 9 minute pace so I hung it up. Did not finish the planned 6 mile so I get an automatic F. Now, it feels like too much chromium. I stopped at the health foods store and picked up another bottle that is not as strong and hopefully I will not be as sensitive to it. Who knows? I could be back feeling great in 24 hours. It's okay for me to feel depressed because the chemical imbalances are not my fault. I don't want to get discouraged but I need to say these 2 words: This sucks!
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=3.0
3/2-Felt worse than yesterday so I left work early, skipped my workout and got extra sleep.
3/3- 6x1000 with a 2:30 R. (3:56-4:04) Average was 4:00. Nice improvement over Sunday's attempt at a workout but still far short of PR shape. To put it into perspective, in my 5,000 meter time trial, my pace per kilometer was between 3:57-3:58. Today, I could not even manage that with a rest in between. I'd guess that I would have been high 21 in a 5K today. In my defense, the viral infection has not completely cleared my system and I'm still tweaking the chromium issue. Hopefully, this is a start of a steady improvement.
Grade:C+/2 credits/distance=4.5
3/4-Minimal improvement over yesterday. Easy 5 miler in 39:56, fairly comfortable pace that stayed near 8:00 the whole time. Still quite stiff. I'll be lenient with the grade since it was a planned easy day but there is no way that I would have done any better than a 37 in a race. Last week, I ran 3 minutes faster with about the same effort.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=5.5
3/5- got sicker last night. slept through the day. Must go to the doctor tomorrow. I do have a fever. This must be a bacterial infection, not a virus.
3/6- bacterial sinus infection and possibly bronchitis. Details of doctor visit to come in another post. Feeling a bit better today but still in no condition to run.
3/7- Easy 2 miler to test myself out. Just having enough energy to run at all is a victory at this stage. Biggest complaint was that my lungs were tight and I was struggling to breath. Time was 15:54 with a fairly steady pace and did show a little bit of life in the last 200. No real ill-effects from the run except for a little bit of coughing for a few minutes afterward.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=2.0
Weekly summary: Not sure how I feel about this one. For once, my sub-par workouts had nothing to do with thyroid or adrenal issues. Heck, that long interval workout was pretty darn good under the circumstances. It's had little-no impact on the chemicals impacting my mood but in any event, it's my worst week since starting the blog. Hopefully, I can knock this infection out and be ready to go in Mobile in 3 weeks for a PR 10K.
Distance=15.0/ Weekly GPA=8.6/5 credits=1.720 (that's a flunk out, LOL)

No comments: