Monday, August 9, 2010

training 8/9-8/15

8/9- Took a small amount of glutamine yesterday afternoon just to see what would happen and I got an immediate negative reaction. Yes! Now I know without a doubt that I am free from my dependence on that stuff. Took nothing last night then took my normal amount of thyroid and blood sugar supplements. As expected, the glutamine cleared by afternoon and I was ready to run. I breezed through 7 miles in 53:24 (7:38 pace, a 3:20 marathon). Good run. On Wednesday, I will try some glycine and hope for another negative reaction. If that happens, all my neurotransmitters are balanced, which would be a MAJOR MAJOR victory!
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.5

8/10- Johnny's speed workout was tough for me. 4x200 in 34, 4x400 in 73-70-72-70 (4:45).
An 800 for dessert, which I struggled to a 2:40. Overall pace was 4:51. Just a tad slower than last time. Then, Johnny made me run another 400 only 15 seconds after the all out 800. I managed only an 86. This is not the first time, he's pulled this on me. A bit of a let down but still not too bad overall. His quote was "Hate me Tuesday, love me next Saturday."
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=4.5

8/11- Trak Shak 5 @ 7:41. Temp was close to 95 but it wasn't too humid so it didn't feel too bad to me. That's a tad fast for an easy day but it was only 5 miles. An 8 miler would have been slower. Again, I took nothing at night and my normal thyroid supplements during the day. I was pleased with how I felt especially considering that I was exhausted last night. Mile cool down.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=6.0

8/12- Took glycine last night and began feeling some abnormal stiffness in my legs shortly thereafter. Indeed, I AM FREE!! Praise the Lord. Planned rest day and it would not have gone well if I had run but it should clear well before tomorrow's possible time trial.

8/13- High temp of 100 but it had cooled to the low 90s by 5PM so the time trial was on.
1 Mile in 5:20.2 (fastest time since '99) 77-83-82-78. Just 5 seconds shy of my lifetime goal on a solo run and if it had been 20 degrees cooler, I think I could have done it. Social run at 7 with Ryan and Chilton and had to cut it short because of threatening skies.
Grade:A/3 credits/distance=4.5

8/14- Had to cut LR short again this time due to bad weather approaching. That's okay. I didn't have much in the tank anyway. 7.5 miles with a moving pace @ an even 8:00 and needed a last mile in 7:12 to do it. I don't think it's anymore more serious than natural fatigue. I got home about 15 minutes before a nasty storm hit.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=7.5
Oppressive humidity came soon after the rain stopped so I hit the 'mill for an easy 5 also at 8:00 pace. Mildly better than this morning but still only about average.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance5.0

8/15- BAFA day run (15th anniversary of my first XC practice). Easy 7 in 55:08 (7:53 pace). A bit of a struggle but did run a fairly even pace. I was tired but not exhausted. I hope that I'll be somewhat fresh by tomorrow.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=7.0

Weekly summary:
Pretty solid week overall. I do feel a bit run down but that's due to high intensity and not enough rest. Next week will be lower mileage because of a 5K race and my first full week of freedom from the taurine and related supplements. We'll see how it goes.
Distance=42.0/ GPA= 32.4/10=3.24

No comments: