Monday, September 20, 2010

training 9/20-9/26 (sharp cut back)

Note: After seeing a lot of views of this post, I feel I owe my readers an explantion. My mileage had been in the 60s in preparation for a long shot attempt at a BQ. My body failed me because of a combination of over training and body chemistry that was rapidly becoming extremely unbalanced. This was my last good week before I melted down and ended up injured.

9/20- Elective rest day. 2 days after 20 miler. I am tired but not exhausted. The flat local 5K has been postponed by the RD so I will opt for a time trial instead. I still think I have a chance at a PR. I ran 19:48 last winter solo and I know I'm in much better shape now. I need 19:13 for an all time PR and 19:27 for a comeback PR. A sub-19:13 would be the first time I've beaten a PR at a distance that I raced in high school.

9/21- Johnny's workout. 6x600 in 1:58 (1:55-2:00). Extended rest then a 400 in 68. Overall pace was 5:12/mile. Solid but unspectacular. Calf muscles are still sore despite the rest day and just didn't feel fresh. A bit of a concern. I must slow my easy runs.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=4.0

9/22- Trak Shak 5 in 32:28 (6:30 pace). Another course PR! Yes! That's 3:15 per 800 and I think that sub-3:11 per 800 translates to BQ shape. It's going to be close but I don't think I'm quite there yet. Still a bit of stiffness in the calf but plenty of energy today.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=6.0

9/23- Easy 5 in 39:39 (7:56 pace). Not tired at all from yesterday, felt quite strong. Deliberately took it easy and hope that it will be easy enough to perform at my best on Saturday. That 5 M time trial projects to a 3:10:59 on McMillan! Here's the link:
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cgi-bin/calc.pl
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=5.0

9/24- Rest day

9/25- Frustratingly close. Again! Legs were stiff from the get go and just didn't have my best stuff. Worked hard from the half mile on. Should not have felt much effort until the end of Mile 1. (6:15-6:19-6:16)+ 41= 19:31. Best time of the year. 4 short of last year, 18 away from my all time best in '98. Tied for #3 all time so I'm not terribly upset. Is this goal going to be just beyond my reach? I'm not declaring my quest for 3:10 to be over yet but it's not looking good.
Grade:B+/3 credits/distance=5.0

9/26- Pretty much a forced rest day. Calves and shins are still abnormally sore. Not pleased at all and I will penalize myself for this.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=0

Weekly summary:
Part of me thought my body was bulletproof after getting off the Lithium. Not so. 3 hard runs, 1 easy one and an unscheduled rest day. I will not declare my BQ quest over just yet but it looks like I'm just not ready to handle the training. For the first time in a month, I am disappointed in my week and am really showing signs of over training. I'll try to survive a week in the low 50s next then do little-nothing race week.
Distance=20.0/GPA= 27.6/9= 3.07

No comments: