Monday, November 15, 2010

training 11/15-21

11/15- Indoor 5 miler on a rainy day. Time of 34:46 (6:57 pace). Anything under 35 is acceptable. I went with iodine alone today and that's what I'm sticking with until further notice. More than 2 minutes down on my PR but a solid 43 seconds better than last week. 30 out of those 43 ticks came in the 2nd half. Splits were 6:45-6:52-7:04-7:09-6:56. 1st half: 17:08, 2nd half: 17:38.
Who knows? I may have to go back on Lithium again before too long. If I can tolerate ADHS, that will be helpful to get in balance but iodine is what gives me the symptom relief.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=5.5

11/16- Planned rest day. It was windy with occasional rain anyway. The weather should clear tomorrow. Felt hyper today after taking iodine alone. Again, what worked yesterday did not work today. I HATE BEING CHEMICALLY UNSTABLE! I'm going back to ADHS.

11/17- Only took 1 ADHS in the morning and I felt good early in the day but the energy was fading by the evening and I was feeling hyperthyroid by the end of the day. I must bump it up to 2 and possibly take SBF. It's a good sign that I can tolerate ADHS again, which is what my doctor suggested that I take. I should see some improvement in my numbers by January. The workout was the Trak Shak 5 in 37:04 (7:25 pace). Moderate effort and even pace for first 3 miles. Faded in Mile 4 but made up for it in Mile 5.
Weight is up to 160, which is the highest it has been in 4 years. That's the upper end of the range so I don't want to gain any more (never thought I'd say that). The cause is likely the thyroid instability and blood sugar issues. NO more soda and alcohol usage must be rare.
As for Huntsville, the principle goal is to finish but if I can turn the corner in the next 3 weeks and feel that I can PR, I'll certainly try. I'll predict a time in the upper 3:40s. If by some miracle, I can crack the 3:30 barrier, I will happily retire from marathons.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.0

11/18- Woke up feeling very hyperthyroid so I went with 2 ADHS and it worked well. The question is: What happens if I take 3 or 4? If that does not take me to hypo symptoms and if I could go without it for a day, I declare myself chemically stable! Yes! Workout was an indoor 6 at 45:27 (7:35 pace) plus a final 1/2 mile in 3:18 (10K race pace). Overall workout was 6.5 @ and even 7:30 pace plus a cool down. Solid performance.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=7.0

11/19- Easy 3.5. Started slow (8:10 first mile) then slowly picked up the pace and finished in 27:56 for a 7:59 average pace. Didn't feel my best but not bad enough for it to be a concern.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance-3.5

11/20- Terrible performance. Needed 12 hours of sleep then went from hyper to hypo because I took SBF in addition to ADHS. I remain chemically unstable with more loud screams of frustration. Workout was supposed to be 15 miles. I ended up quitting after 4 in 32:44 with splits of 7:56-8:06-8:07-8:35. I mentally checked out after 3 miles. My only hope is more ADHS to stabilize.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=4.0

11/21- Mildly better than yesterday and that is faint praise. Pace was decent through 8 miles then slogged an 8:21 and then an 8:40 then quit after Mile 10 with a time of 81:35 (8:10 pace). I rested for a few minutes then ran a mile all out, which was a pathetic 7:59 followed by a cool down at a glacial pace. I probably need more ADHS. 3 or 4? Do I need tyrosine or iodine? SBF ain't gonna work and neither will taurine. 3 weeks until Huntsville and I am not ready.
Grade:D/2 credits/distance=12.0

Weekly summary:
"You're doing better because you've got a stable job and you're living where you want to be." Bull^#@^! I cannot take this chemical instability any longer!
Distance= 37.0/ GPA= 15.3/8= 1.91

No comments: