Monday, November 29, 2010

Training 11/29-12/5

11/29- Easy indoor 5 miler in 38:27 (7:41 pace). This is the type of pace that felt easy when I was in the groove in September and it felt easy today as well. That's really a good sign especially after my long run the previous day was only fair. Of course, my body has not taken the cumulative effects of high mileage. I have not topped 40 in more than 2 months so I still should be fresh. I hope to look back on this and see today as when I turned the corner. 3 ADHS in divided doses evenly spread throughout the day is the winning formula right now. If I take 2 at once or go more than 12 hours without a pill, I'll be hurting. My best hope is that I will be less dependent when my numbers are better according to the medical report.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=5.0

11/30- Another easy 5 indoors because it was nasty outside. This one was a bit too fast. Time was 37:53 (7:35 pace). I felt comfortable during the run but was hurting a bit afterwards. Pretty strong performance overall.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=5.0

12/1- Tempo. Trak Shak 5 in 40 degree weather. It will likely be colder in Huntsville but as long as there is little wind, it will be fine. Moving time was 34:10 (6:50 pace). I must be especially cautious in the dark when it comes to traffic. Another runner told me that I was "over the speed limit." LOL. I've never heard that one before. Solid performance. Must be under 34 for an A in a tempo run. Plan is to go longer and slower tomorrow.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=5.0

12/2- Easy 7 plus cool down. Very smooth and relaxing run. Time was 55:23 (7:55 pace) with almost no effort. I get a rest day tomorrow then it's time to tackle that 20 miler.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.5

12/3- Planned rest day.

12/4- Obligatory 20 mile run in 2:47:47 (8:24 pace). That's a 3:40 marathon pace. Started out at 8;30 pace as planned. Very even pace. In fact, I hit the 16 mile mark in exactly 2:16 flat. I was hoping to have a bit more left in the final 4 but still managed a 31:47 (7:57 pace). I would rate my performance as average. I will not try for a PR in Huntsville (8:12 pace) and will play it safe and start out at 8:30 pace. If I can hold it, I will beat my time from Fargo last Spring.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=20.0

12/5- Surprisingly fresh in a recovery jog. I did not take any ADHS in the morning and felt good until noon but late in the run, I was beginning to feel some ill-effects. Still, I was able to do what I planned. 4.5 at EZ pace and I didn't even time it.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=4.5

Weekly summary:
Clearly my best week since the injury and now is a good time for a breakthrough. I may try to tinker my dosage a bit. 3 seems to be a bit too much. 2 wasn't enough in the past. I may go with 2.5 this week. I definitely need it and my medical report confirmed it. I'll send in another hair test in about 6 weeks and hope to see at least somewhat better numbers. As for Huntsville, I plan to go out conservatively then gradually increase the pace depending on how I feel.
Distance=47.0/ GPA= 26.1/8= 3.26

No comments: