Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Training 2/21-2/27 (race week slack)

2/21- Forced rest day. I should be sore after last week's workouts but this is extreme and abnormal. My whole body is sore so I don't believe that I am injured. The lower right hamstring is especially bad. I think that it is the choline/inositol that is the cause. The pain has gotten progressively worse even after my rest day. Now that the choline/inositol has failed me, I am not out of options but this could be a major defeat. If my other 2 options fail, I will have to take mega doses of ADHS along with an exact amount of chromium, which will keep my numbers stubbornly high and keep my goals just out of reach.

2/22- Cut out the choline/inositol and as expected, the soreness diminished as the day progressed. Workout was at Heardmont Park, the site of my first 5K after my comeback (24:55 in 11/06). Forgettable performance in laid back mode. 1 mile warm up in 7:40. 400 meter time trial in 69.22 (best time of the year). That beats my point of confidence barrier but it's 8 seconds off my comeback PR and 9.23 (37/mile) short of my goal. Recovery jog lap followed by another mile at easy pace (7:50) then a cool down through the park. Below average. Race is only 4 days away and I'm still hopeful.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/23- Back to my old self. The hamstring soreness is almost completely gone but the dependence on ADHS is right back to where it was. It won't be long until the chromium dependency reappears. I'll need to time that perfectly just like at Mercedes in order to do well on Saturday. Today's workout was the Trak Shak 5 in 37:33 (7:31 pace). Not quite a stroll in the park but still quite smooth and relaxed. I feel good.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=5.0

2/24- Normally, today would be a junk run or rest day but given what's going on, I needed a small test. Workout was at Mountain Brook. 1 lap at 10K pace then a 400 in 68.49 (best time of the year) but after that I was toast. I had little energy and no spring in my step even in the 400. That's a full 34 sec/mile off my goal. Just as I expected, the chromium dependency is back and the race is only 2 days away. Poor performance. If not for the best of the year, this would have been a "D." I should do some significant damage to my 5:53 Mile next week.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=2.0

2/25- Just a few strides. Packet pick up.
Grade:Pass/0 credit/distance=0.5

2/26- Scenic City Half Marathon in 1:32:49 (PR)
Grade:A/4 credit/distance=14.5

2/27- Recovery jog at Vestavia. 3 miles in 25:30 (8:30 pace). I only timed it to make sure that I ran the full 12 laps. No complaints. I am appropriately sore.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=3.0

Weekly summary:
I'm proud of myself for showing restraint and not obsessing over the mile quota. With the exception of the race, this was not a very good week. The chromium issue could be a major thorn and there has got to be another solution. I am due for a follow up medical report in a week but won't get the results until after Silver Comet. As for now, I'm still basking in the glory of a new PR and what will hopefully be the first of many in 2011.
Distance=28.0/GPA= 26.1/8= 3.26 (5th straight 3.0+)

No comments: