Monday, February 28, 2011

Training 2/28-3/6

2/28- Solid start to the week. Tornado watch outside so I opted for a crowded indoor run. 7.5 miles in 58:23 (7:47 pace). Even pace after a fast 1st mile. Took lots of chromium and it was effective in knocking out the abnormal soreness. No complaints.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.5

3/1- Johnny's workout. 400-800-1200-1200-800-400 with generous rest periods. Quite a bit of soreness in my legs but got through the workout unharmed. Times were 84-2:52-4:27-4:26-2:54-71. That's an overall pace of 5:45. Good job. Normally, I strive to run every interval just under 6-pace then burn the last one around 70. Today, I would not have been able do the 1200s on time without the extra rest. I need more and more chromium so I may try to reduce the ADHS from 8 to 7. We'll see how that works out. I'll see if I have a tempo in me tomorrow then I get a rest on Thursday. I think I'll wait on the Mile until next week. I predict my sprint times would be around 64/5:30 now.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=5.0

3/2- The chromium deficiency has been more bothersome than the ADHS dependency of late. Of course, if I can somehow reduce the ADHS, I won't need as much chromium. Man, it would be great to be able to quit them both or at least not feel awful if I miss one day. I had to pop a chromium before the workout today but timed it perfectly. Trak Shak 5 in 32:48 (6:34 pace). 4th time under 33 and 2nd best time on that course. Mile 4 sucked as usual but I bounced back at the end. Most impressive of all was that this run did not leave me exhausted. I finished the day with a 2.5 mile cool down at 8:20 pace, which is almost in the acceptable range for an easy run. This is a 10K pace of 40:51 and I wasn't even fresh. I did have to stop several times for traffic but believe that I had a 33 flat in me if I went continuous.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=7.5

3/3- Perfect weather outside and it's going to be nasty for the next 2 days so I chose to postpone my rest day. Lakeshore 7 with Adam and Jason in 52:49 (7:33 pace). That's well over the speed limit but I was not about to wimp out on the group. Felt strong the whole way and ran very even splits. Cool down at the end. Took 7 ADHS and 3 chromium today. I will try to cut the ADHS down to 6 tomorrow and hopefully will only need 2 chromium.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=8.0

3/4- Rest day that was well deserved. This time I stuck to my word. I'm trying to get through the day on 6 ADHS pills and feel slightly uncomfortable. As expected, fewer ADHS means I need less chromium. I have only needed 2 of those pills instead of 3. We'll see how I feel tomorrow morning. If I feel bad when I wake up or suck in my workout, 6 still won't cut it. I had an extremely bizarre dream last night but in this case, you do not want to know the details.

3/5- Felt progressively worse as the evening progressed last night so I have to declare that 6/2 will not work. I'll send in my lab test next week and we'll see what it says. I remain chemically unstable. ARRGH! Weather was bad so I chose to postpone my long run until tomorrow. Easy indoor 7 in 55:19 (7:54 pace). Very unsettling that the adjustment did not work and I still did not feel the best after the pills kicked in but did manage an average performance.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=7.5

3/6- Winter has made one last gasp (I hope). Temp was around 40 today with a sub-freezing wind chill and this was in the afternoon. Very good run despite the change in temperature. Trak Shak 3 + Trak Shak/Lakeshore route. Total distance was 14 miles in a time of 1:46:25 (7:36 pace) with a last mile in 6:52. That's 3:19 marathon pace. Again, I broke the speed limit but I have a rest day scheduled along with a slack week ahead so I should be fine. 1/2 mile cool down to hit the mileage target.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=14.5

Weekly summary:
Excellent week overall. I don't think I've ever had 3 solid A's in one week. It's still unsettling that I remain chemically unstable. What I'm doing now is a winning formula for now but I'm not real confident that it's the long-term answer. The lab test will be mailed next week. Upcoming is a Mile time trial and a 10K PR attempt in a very low mileage week.
Distance=50.0/ GPA=32.4/9= 3.60

No comments: