Monday, April 9, 2012

Training 4/9-4/15

4/9- This is not good. I only took 1 magnesium to see if I could get by and was feeling really weird during the run like I was on the edge of losing it. I took off at an effort that felt no harder than 7:20 but the watch read 6:50 and I couldn't believe it. The pace gradually slowed and my left hamstring was sore. The pace was starting to get to me by Mile 5 and I slowed to 7:08. Then I tried to pick it up and raised the pace for a quarter mile. After that, I was done. Finished with 5.5 miles in 38:21 (6:58 pace). Split decision. Good pace but not pleased with how I felt. It looks like I need pills until further notice. Please God, keep me stable. I have cheated on my diet since the race and that can't help things.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

4/10- I've hit 10,000 page views today. Thanks to all my readers, especially those from outside the U.S. (27% of my page views). It really means a lot that so many people care enough about me to read this blog even though in all likelihood, we will never meet in real life. I'd like to hear from some of you. My main e-mail is jzehnder1202@yahoo.com. Today was a disaster. I loaded on magnesium and it was awful. 1 Mile at Hoover Middle School in a turtle time of 7:49.6 with even splits. Absolutely nothing there. Consider this a rest day but since I felt miserable all day, this will be graded. Dosage must be cut. I may be unstable.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=1.0

4/11- Positive step forward today. Trak Shak 5 in 37:55 (7:35 pace). Started out at 7:16 then gradually faded to 8:01 in Mile 4 but did bounce back with a 7:26 finish. Decent pace but I had to put out tempo effort to run a normal easy pace in spite of doing next to nothing the previous day. Magnesium dosage was cut to 1. I am cautiously hopeful that I can quit again and take it only once every few days for preventative maintenance.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=5.0

4/12- Scheduled workout was 200s. I did not feel up to it today and don't like missing these workouts but it's still early yet. Instead, I ran a Mile time trial at Hoover. Finished in 5:37.3 (best time of the year). Excellent splits: (83-86-86-82). Still a distressing 22 seconds from my goal. Breathing was very well controlled but my legs were trash. Not quite in sync yet but this is clearly another step forward. Added 2 more 400s in 87 and 83 and finished with a Mile cool. This grades out at a 78 on the official scale but I'm in a generous mood.
Grade:B-/3 credits/distance=3.0

4/13- First full day back off the pills. Easy 6 in 43:56 (7:19 pace). Very evenly paced. Nothing under 7:15 or over 7:22. Felt very good aerobically but still can't quite shake the soreness in my legs. The left hamstring is esp. troublesome. Again, not quite 100% but this is the first day back on track with my diet as well. Tomorrow's long run will be crucial.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

4/14- HORRIBLE! Plan was the 8-8 Trak Shak 16. I slept 10 hours and dreamed about being sent to Afghanistan and going AWOL at the last minute before I was supposed to board the plane. Maybe I should have just stayed in bed. I turned around at 1.5 miles and finished 3 in a pedestrian 24:10 (8:03 pace) then had to quit. Splits were 7:40(uphill)-8:23-8:07(downhill). I'll try to run again this afternoon but the morning workout is a failure.

PM- Took a magnesium pill and knew shortly after that help was on the way. Pelham 4 in 29:56 (7:29 pace). Even pace with a Mile cool. Struggled a bit in the heat (80 and sunny). Still out of sync. Average performance. The grade is a B- in the afternoon and an F in the morning.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=8.0

4/15- AWFUL! Trak Shak 8 in 65:17 (8:10 pace). Felt miserable for the entire run and was actually surprised that I was able to hold sub-8 for 6 miles. Finished with a 17:33 over the final 2. I took the pills that I was supposed to take so I still don't know. It could be the cheating on my diet. In any event, my worst fears from last week have been realized. It appears that I am unstable again. The only thing I can do is keep my sugar consumption to a minimum and take the magnesium with just a little calcium. I get a plus for finishing half the workout.

PM- 10 laps at Vestavia in 17:58 (7:11 pace) and managed a 91 last lap (5K race pace). Felt better after a 3rd magnesium pill but this does not change my grade for the day. 2 lap cool
Grade:F+/2 credits/distance=11.0

Weekly summary:
Worst week in almost 2 years. 'Nuff said.
Distance= 40.0/GPA= 18.4/10=1.84

No comments: