Monday, May 7, 2012

Training 5/7-5/13 (race week)

5/7- Still a little stiff and sluggish this morning and feeling a bit concerned.  I chose not to do an AM run and the afternoon workout will be a basic easy training session.
PM- Excellent run.  Felt better as the day progressed.  6.5 miles at marathon pace plus another 1/2 mile at about 3K pace (6:02) for an overall time of 50:35 (7:14 avg).  Felt great on the 5:5 ratio.  I feel like Crazy J is back and hope is rising for Tupelo.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=7.5

5/8- Johnny's workout as planned.  Fairly mild affair (400-800) times 3.  I wanted to push the 400s hard and my goal was 75/2:45, which I managed to do.  (75/2:45), (74-2:45), (73-2:43).  There was no 2:30 gear at the end.  I was pushing just to maintain the 2:45.  Short recovery then 2 x 100 sprints.  Added a warm and cool.  Good but not great workout.  Ed stuck with me all the way.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=5.0

5/9- Trak Shak route plus extension and cool down.  Covered a total of 6 miles with a moving time of 44:30 (7:25 pace).  Started too fast then slowed to a more reasonable 7:30 for the last 3.  Some leg fatigue but felt good aerobically. Solid.  Last run of any significance before race day.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.5

5/10- AM 2.5 mile naked junk run.  This gives me some cheap mileage in my weekly volume and allows a full 48 hours of rest before the gun goes off. Felt fine.  Did not take any pills until after the run.  Of course, I would love to be free but my current situation is not too bad.  A 1:1 ratio every day with no problems if I miss a dose every so often?  I can live with that.
Grade:Pass/0 credit/distance=2.5

5/11- Planned rest day.  Weather looks like it will stay below 70 at least at the start and it may be overcast as well.  The course is advertised as "flat and fast" but I know Tupelo and I can bet that there will be some mild rolling hills throughout the course.  Sub-40 is probably a long shot after such a crappy last month of training.  The realistic goal is to beat my official PR from Silver Comet last year (40:55).

5/12- Felt out of sync since Friday.  Finished Gum Tree 10K in 42:07 (6:46 pace).  1st half: 20:24, 2nd half: 21:43 plus a warm and cool.  Grade seems too lenient but I'm going with it.  Sub-40 is an A+ then it goes down in 30 second increments.
Grade:B-/4 credit/distance=7.5

5/13- AM- Easy 3 that didn't feel easy in 23:51 (7:57 pace) on a lowered dosage.  I now know that won't work.  Legs felt okay but the breathing was very labored.  I'll try again later.
  PM- Mild improvement after more pills but still off form.  3 miles in 23:06 (7:42 pace) with even splits.  Overall, I did 6@7:50 plus a half mile cool.  Mediocre effort.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=6.5

Weekly summary:
The good start enabled me to get my 2nd straight winning week but it feels like a loser to me. I'm disgusted by my performance in Tupelo but I know I was good for at least a low-41 without the extra magnesium.  I've been cheating on my diet lately and I'm sure that's hurting me.  I've had either a sugared/caffeinated drink and/or beer in 4 out of my last 8 days.  That stops now and this blog will keep me accountable.  I will get back on track starting today.  Perhaps the sensitivity will diminish in time.  The change in diet took about 10 days to take effect last Fall but I got hot shortly thereafter.
Distance=35.0/ GPA= 27.4/9= 3.04

No comments: