Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Training 5/28-6/3

5/28- Elective rest day.  Drove back to Birmingham.  Not feeling well at all.  Previously, I had doubted that cheating on my diet had much to do with my performances.  The end of last week has proven me wrong.  No penalty today.

5/29- Uninspiring performance.  I wanted to do Johnny's workout again but I was in no condition for anything hard.  I had to settle for a basic run of mill 5 miler indoors.  Started off pretty decent but the wheels came off at the halfway point.  1st half: 18:55, 2nd half: 19:42.  Overall time was 38:37 (7:43 pace), which isn't bad for an easy day.  However, I had done a mere 4 miles in the previous 2 days and have been known to cruise through 8 @ sub-7:20 when I'm that fresh.  Day 2 back on track with the diet.  Not worried yet but if I'm not better tomorrow, I will be.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.5

5/30- I don't do tempos very often during speed season but it just fit today.  Trak Shak 5 in 33:41 (6:44 pace). That is my half mary PR pace.   Almost all out and would have been hard pressed to be much below 42 in a 10K race. Sloppy form and still obviously off by about 3-5% but a definite improvement over yesterday.  Kept the pace fairly even (16:42-16:59) on a day that was 90F and dry.  Sore left knee afterwards but that should not be a concern.  Clean on the diet for 3rd day.
Grade:B+/2 credit/distance=5.5

5/31- As expected, the sore knee was not a problem and felt about the same after the run as before it.  My body feels about as sore today as it did after my last half marathon.  The workout went surprisingly well.  6 miles in 45:12 (7:32 pace) with a strong finish. 1st half: 22:42, 2nd half: 22:30.  Still, I should not feel THIS sore.  My GPA looks decent this week so far but it does not reflect how bad I've felt during the day.  If I am unable to do a sprint workout tomorrow, there will be a penalty.  Clean diet for 4th straight day.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.5

6/1- 5th clean day in a row.  Energy is starting to improve but I am still too sore to run a short interval workout.  Too much of an injury risk.  Beautiful weather today.  Sunny and upper 70s.  There will not be many more of these until September.  Fast finish easy 5 in an overall time of 35:27 (7:05 pace).  Splits were 7:20-7:20-7:31-7:23-5:52. Very pleased to see that sub-6 at the end.  I didn't feel like I was at full throttle until the final quarter mile either.  I earned an A on the easy workout but I get a penalty for failure to complete a 2nd quality workout this week.  Because I did well on the last mile, it's one full level instead of two.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

6/2- Crazy J is back and it feels great.  Good run with the Gnomes today.  I ran with a group that included 2 sub-3 marathoners and 3 college runners and I not only kept up with them, I was leading the pack.  The route was nice and flat in the middle of the run but there were some beastly hills in the first 2 miles as well as Mile 8-9.  Finished 11 miles in 80:58 (7:22 pace).  I did drink a Smoothie afterwards, which is a questionable choice.  I should be okay as long as I avoid booze this weekend.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=12.0

6/3- AM- When I wake up at 6 AM and feel ready to roll, it's pretty safe to say that I am officially hot.  Breezed through a basic Lakeshore 6.5 in 47:21 (7:17 pace).  Just 3 seconds shy of BQ pace and again, it was a breeze.  Temps are creeping back up.  Mid 60s this morning but the rest of next week will be about 90/70, which is about normal for June here.  I might run again this evening.

PM-  Threat of storms forced me indoors and it proved to be a good call.  Another easy 5 with a fast last quarter mile.  Overall time was 36:45 (7:21 pace) with an 85 second final quarter.  That's moving well indoors with all those turns.  Felt strong.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=11.5

Weekly summary:
Winning streak has reached 5 in a row.  Pretty solid overall.  Only downer was that there was not enough variation in paces this week and I missed the sprint workout for the 2nd straight week.  Good week with the diet.  Only the fruit smoothie was somewhat questionable.  The rest of the week was squeaky clean.  My need for Paramin (5:3 Cal/Mag) has increased in the last 2 days.  It could be a healing reaction that will eventually fade.  I'm fine with taking pills as long as I can stay stable and remain on the same ratio every day.  Looking forward to the Possum Trot 10K (Atlanta) in 2 weeks.  It could be a PR course IF the weather is decent.
Distance=47.0/ GPA= 30/9= 3.33

No comments: