Monday, June 25, 2012

Training 6/25-7/1

6/25- Day 5 and I took a step backward today.  Another uninspiring 5 miler in a time of 37:35 (7:31 pace).  That's not a bad time for an easy day but I had to put out tempo effort to do it.  When that happens, there's only one grade that is appropriate.  I took an extra Paramin last night and felt HORRIBLE in the morning.  I did improve a bit as the day progressed.  Is there a chance that I can quit this stuff once and for all IF I stick to water only?  Hopes are not real high.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.5

6/26- Down to only 1 pill and may make another quit attempt starting tomorrow.  Johnny's workout was laid back.  Ed and Brandon were both absent.  8x400 with generous rests.  Still not feeling the best but managed a pretty good workout.  1st 7 were all 76-78 then burned a 66.8 on #8 (best time of the year). Average was a 76 so I was 1 second slow on 2 fewer intervals.  Far from epic but it's another step forward.  I have clinched a 1.50 for the year and a 3.0 for the first half.
Grade:B+/2 credit/distance=4.0

6/27- AM.  Moderate 4 miler progression style after not taking a pill this morning.  Time was 28:15 (7:04 pace) with splits of 7:20-7:06-7:04-6:45.  Felt strong albeit a little "weird" probably because my body is adjusting to being off the pills.  If I get a negative reaction to 1 pill tonight, the quit attempt is on.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=4.0

PM- Trak Shak 6.5 in 44:16 (6:49 pace).  Hard, hot and hilly.  93 and dry out there today.  Started too fast by trying to run with Dewayne and a few college XC runners.  Dewayne is 40 now but when he was in college (U. of ARK), he ran a 4:02 Mile and is still good for a 4:20ish.  I hoped to catch him on an easy day but it wasn't.  I was doing 6:30 in Miles 2-3 and it wasn't enough.  Faded in the 2nd half but still managed a sub-7 pace over the last 3.5 miles.  Popped a pill when I got home and my body tightened up almost immediately.  THE QUIT ATTEMPT IS ON.  I've lost count of how many times I've tried to quit these pills but it's lasted more than a 4 weeks only twice.  Forecast is calling for 105 temps this weekend.  I might go to Florida to escape some of the heat.  It'll only be 93 down there.  LOL.  YTD: 998 mile.  I will pass the 1K mark tomorrow.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=6.5

6/28- Struggled today, which was not a surprise.  Hurting as a result of back to back quality days and the pill that I took last night had not fully cleared my system.  Rather weak 5 miler indoors and probably could have gone 6.  Finished in 38:44 (7:45 pace) with splits all over the place.  (7:40-7:30-7:44- 8:10-7:40).  Effort was easy early then tempo towards the end.  The resurgence in Mile 5 may well have been the pills clearing out of my system.  Rather mediocre today but I expect to feel better tomorrow.  Day 1 of the quit attempt, day 7 on water only.  Passed 1,000 miles on the year.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=5.5

6/29- As of today, I am a believer in drinking water only.  Day 2 of the quit attempt was MUCH better today.  Easy 6 indoors (103 temps) in 44 flat (7:20 pace) and yes, it really did feel EASY!
1st half was 22:05, 2nd half 21:55.  Added a half mile cool.  I only need to survive 8 miles tomorrow in the oven to hit 40 on the week.  Excellent training.  The plan is to head to the coast after the run tomorrow morning.  I'll probably end up in Orange Beach/Perdido Key on the Florida/Alabama line.
If I do eat at Flora Bama, I AM NOT DRINKING!!
Grade:A/ 1 credit/distance=6.5

6/30- Gnome run in 80 degree heat with 75% humidity.  I made a poor decision to run with the fast group.  I managed to keep with them except on the last tough uphill.  I wanted 10 miles but finished with 7.5 in a time of 56:02 (7:28 pace) then added a cool down.  Solid performance for the conditions and I've earned a rest day.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=8.0

7/1- Planned rest day.  I expect to be enjoying myself in Flora-Bama.  End of the first half.

Weekly summary:
Nothing overly special on the surface this week but it's good to be back in the win column.  The biggest news is that I am making another quit attempt on the pills. I've made it 4 days now.  It will be serious after a week.
Distance=40.0/GPA= 32.6/10= 3.26

No comments: