Monday, June 4, 2012

Training 6/4-6/10

   The above pic is from last Saturday's run, taken to advertise the new BTC singlets.

6/4- Stormy weather forced me inside again.  It was another morning run and went well again.  Easy 8 in 59:48 (7:28 pace) with nearly dead even splits.  1st half: 29:53, 2nd half: 29:55.  Added a cool down tribute.  Nothing too earth shattering to report but I have done 32 miles in the last 3 days.  I may struggle tomorrow but I do get to rest until the afternoon.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=8.5

6/5- Johnny's workout was a split decision.  4x400, 2x800, 4x100.  I felt fresh enough after a good 9 hours of sleep that did not produce a bizarre dream.  The 400s went quite well: 73-73-72-71.  Then, I was out of endurance probably because I went too long without taking a Paramin pill.  The 800s were only 3:05-3:04 but in the last 100, I felt like I broke a pain barrier and motored the final 100 in 16-17 seconds.  The 100s also felt good but as always, I was naked.  I'll call this one average overall.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=4.5 

6/6- Trak Shak 8 (easier version) in  58:24 (7:18 pace).  This might hurt me in my sub-5:15 attempt on Friday but it was just too much fun today.  The "easier version" was not really that easy.  It had one less hill, a more steady decline and no gravel trail.  I added a lap around Soho to make it an even 8.  Pace was about as even as you can get on this route.  1st half: 29:15, 2nd half: 29:09.  Only gripe was that traffic was awful. 2 cars turned in front of me and both were talking on cell phones.  Not to worry, I am extra cautious in that regard.  Temp was in the low-mid 80s and dry.  That's as good as can be expected for Alabama in June.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=8.0

6/7- Planned rest day.  Felt okay most of the day except for a very tired spell around 1:30 PM.  In the past, I might have had some caffeine for a quick boost (energy loan) but not so now.  The tiredness passed on its own.  5:15 or bust tomorrow evening.  Dreamed that I was in some type of ultra running event in which teams either got to run or perform manual labor based on finish in a relay.  Details are sketchy but it's still worth sharing.

6/8- Bust!  Hoover Mile in 5:18.8 (#2 since comeback).  Only 3 seconds shy of the goal, which is a 97 on the grading scale.  I really should not be disappointed in this one but I must confess that I am.  I was so sure that I was going to do it during the day.  2 significant mistakes.  Started too fast and trained too hard on Wednesday.  Even for such a short distance, you've got to treat it like a race and taper accordingly.  That means nothing even moderately hard for 2 full days.  Also, I took off at 35.x for the first 200.  Even if it really was closer to 36, that is a 4:48 pace, which is WAY too fast. Overall splits were 74-81-83-80. (2:35/2:43).  In almost all my adult time trials, the first and second halves were very even.  If I had gone out in 77.x instead, I may have done it. (77-80-80-77)= 5:14.  I'll have to take a hit to the weekly mileage but I'm so close and I will keep doing this every other week. I've been stuck at 5:20 give or take 2 seconds for way too long.
Grade:A/3 credits/distance=3.0

6/9- BTC Social Run.  Took 2 Paramin last night which made me feel much worse.  I can feel better about yesterday now.  I underperformed because I was due for an adjustment on my formula.  I really expected to suck today but I managed to get through it.  3 mile warm in 24:18 followed by a hilly 8.5 mile route in 67:33 for an overall pace of 7:59 for 11.5 miles.  Yes, I kicked it in at the end to get sub-8.  Added a half mile cool.
Grade:C+/2 credits/distance=12.0

6/10- Tweaked my calf in yesterday's run.  That can happen when you try to push it when you're out of whack.  It's not too serious and I was able to get a few easy miles in today.  I probably could have gone the scheduled 6 but I called it quits after 3 in 23:17 (7:46 pace) then added a full mile cool at a glacial pace just to hit the quota on the week.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=4.0

Weekly summary:
Another pretty good week overall but it ended on a bit of a sour note.  I obviously need an adjustment, which was not a surprise.  As I predicted, the need for extra Paramin was a healing reaction that faded.  I know that I do NOT need magnesium, which is good news.  The only question to be resolved is whether or not I need low dose Paramin or nothing.  I'd feel more comfortable on low dose Paramin but I don't have a choice in the matter.  I'll get it sorted out next week.  Another squeaky clean week with my diet.  Only had 1 smoothie and a bottle of Gatorade on the run.  As for the Mile, put me out there on fully fresh legs, an even pace and no issues with the pills and I believe I am well under 5:15.  Maybe even close to 5:10.
Distance=40.0/ GPA= 31.4/10= 3.14

No comments: