Monday, September 10, 2012

Training 9/10-9/16

9/10- Upon rising this morning feeling way overstimulated, it has become apparent that I need to settle into a routine of at least 3 Thym Adren pills until further notice.  I'll shoot for a fast finish easy 6 this evening in nice weather.  I have not run well at a distance over 5 in nearly a month.

PM- 6 miles at moderate effort on Wisteria.  Finished with a solid time of 43:12 (7:12 pace).  Sure, I was still a bit too loose and over stimulated but this was clearly the best I felt since the 17 mile long run almost a month ago.  I may need more than 3 Thym-Adren. 1st half: 21:56, 2nd half: 21:16.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=6.0

9/11- 6 mile tempo indoors in 40:20 (6:43 pace).  Ran the first 5 in a comfortable 34:21 (6:52 avg) with even splits. That is right at 1:30 half mary pace then I stepped on it for a 6th mile in 5:59.12. Felt very strong and relaxed.  I took no Fructosin today only because I forgot to take it to work with me and I am only now beginning to tighten up a bit.  I'll bet that in time, I'll only need 1 or less per day.  Bad news is that without mega Thym-Adren, I'll be over stimulated.  Here's hoping that my dependence on that stuff will also fade.  According to my medical reports, I've never had my numbers in balance.  Perhaps the enzyme deficiency prevented that.  Also, I'm still having a bit of foot pain and will need a 3rd prolo treatment.  I'll try to put it off until early October.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance= 6.5

9/12- Trak Shak 7.5 in 53:05 (7:05 pace) with an even pace.  Only 1 mile was over 7:15, which was almost all uphill.  Felt strong.  A little tight in the groin but maintained a moderate and comfortable effort all the way.  This is good.  I think I took a little too much Thym-Adren but the result was a "still good" performance.  That's the way it should be.  1 too many or too few pills should not be a dramatic difference.  Long tribute in which I tried on some Pegasus trainers.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=8.5

9/13-  Wisteria 6 mile in 42:54 (7:09 pace).  Cut the Thym-Adren from 7 pills down to 5 pills and it still felt like it was too much.  Once again, I managed a pretty strong performance.  The Wisteria "course" is a 2.5 mile out and back route just down the hill from my apartment.  I didn't like this route before but it's growing on me and the uphill finish is a challenge.  1st leg was 17:47, 2nd leg was 17:58, last mile in 7:09.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

9/14- Turned 32 years old today.  I'm taking a planned rest day but may do a junk run this afternoon.  Strange, I've been forced off the Thym-Adren again.  I've cheated BADLY on my diet recently after my first taste of freedom.  I'm not out of the woods yet.  Foot pain is now centered around the classic PF location.  3 weeks until prolo.

PM- Junk run on Wisteria.  This will make it easier to get to 50 on the week.  I did the first mile at basic effort then slow jogged the next 1.5.  The slow jog actually felt more uncomfortable.  Foot was sore.  I have 2 more quality sessions scheduled before Denver but I've got to be cautious.
Grade: None/0 credit/distance=2.5

9/15- NIGHTMARE!  Gnome run in which I felt fine for the first 4.7 miles then CRASHED HARD.  Mile 6 was 8:47 then I had to go another 4.5 miles to complete the loop.  I walked and slow jogged it and it was demoralizing.  The culprit was over stimulation. Yesterday, I was forced off the pills.  Today, I need mega doses.  Even with the fructosin, I can only have the occasional forbidden item.  Is the fructosin stimulating me?  If so, I've got BIG trouble.  That would be an impossible situation.
I'll call this one an easy day but if I can't go long tomorrow, it's a 2 credit "F."  Finished the first 6 miles in 45:24 (7:34 avg), which is not bad then added 2 more at a pace over 10:00.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=8.5

9/16- I sure hope this is the nadir.  Hated every step of this one.  Hoping for 12.5 miles and quit after 3.5 in a time of 31:24 (8:58 pace).  Both yesterday and today, I was MUCH WORSE after taking a sip of Powerade.  What to make of this?  I don't know.  The best hope is that this is the result of the sugar binge earlier in the week.  Perhaps cutting it out again will work then I can cheat on rare occasions.

PM- 1 Mile at Vestavia.  Finished in 6:26.7 with a negative split (3:18-3:08).  That's still BAAAAD!

Run #3- Repeat of Vestavia Mile and my time was down to 5:56.6.  Near perfect splits (88-90-90-88)
That's good enough to bring me up to passing on the day.

Grade:D-/2 credits/distance=5.5
Weekly summary:
Every year since '08 in late summer- early Fall, I go through a period in which I feel like giving up.  This may be the worst it's ever been.
Distance=44.0/ GPA= 22.1/8= 2.76

No comments: