Monday, September 17, 2012

Training 9/17-9/23 (race week)

9/17- AM.  VERY overstimulated despite taking 5 Thym Adren pills upon rising.  Workout was a rather ugly 5 miler indoors in a time of 38:52 (7:46 pace).  Got off to a good start (7:22) then faded fast but did rally for a 7:37 finish.  1st half was 19 flat, 2nd half was 19:52.  Let's see if 4 more pills this afternoon will result in some further improvement.  Denver is in 5 days and I expect to suck.  Just finishing would be a moral victory.
Grade:C-/ 1 credit/distance=5.0

PM- Another 5 miler and my time is all the way down to 34:57 (6:59 pace).  Still overstimulated and my foot was bothering me at the end.  Even pace and a hard fought 6:42 last mile to bring home the sub-7 pace.  I'm still not going to predict anything other than suckage in Denver.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=5.0

9/18- Trial number 3 and this one felt almost "pretty normal."  5 miles again and my time is all the way down to 32:50 (6:34 pace).  Struggled just a bit in Miles 2-4 but the first and second half were almost even (16:26-16:24) and a 6:19 last mile.  I am within 56 seconds of a PR.  I think I can go under 1:40 in Denver but won't go much under that.  I've settled into a routine now with low sugar, 1 fructosin, 3 Paramin and 9 Thym-Adren.  Over stimulation has calmed down a bit but if I go too long without pills, it will kick in HARD.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=5.5

9/19- Little more than a junk run in the morning.  2 miles in 15:12 (7:36 pace).  Easy effort.  Sluggish start, warmed up nicely after the first half.  Splits were 7:47-7:25.  Added a cool at the end.  I'm heading to Atlanta this evening to catch the morning flight to Denver so there will be no Trak Shak run but I may jump on the 'mill for a few minutes after work.
PM- 2 mile junk run on Wisteria untimed.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=4.5

9/20- Flew to Denver, checked in st the hotel then hit Cherry Creek trail for a very encouraging 6 miler.  Finished with a time of 41:29 (6:55), which is probably the equivalent of 6:40 at sea level.  I was an even 28 for the first 4 then slowed to 7:07 and stormed home in 6:22 despite sucking wind something awful.  Starting a kick early will be very painful.  Weather is extremely dry (15% humidity, 27 dew point).  Temps were in the upper 70s. No, I don't care if this hurts me in 2 days.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=6.0

9/21- Planned rest day.  Drove through Garden of the Gods and picked up packet at the expo.  Dosage seems to be trending down but the plantar is hurting me more than usual today (prolo in 2 weeks).  Weather is predicted to be cool and clear with a mild breeze (low 50s at the start, 60 at the finish).  Only 5 days ago, I wasn't even sure I'd make it to the starting line.  I still won't predict a time.

9/22- Survived it.  Rock n' Roll Denver half in 1:39:12  (7:35 pace).  That's a full 11 minutes from a PR but given the hell that body has been through, I'll take it. I was hurt by Thursday's workout and a rapidly trending down dosage.  Just finishing was an accomplishment.  I'll call it a training run.  Probably the equivalent of a high 1:35 at sea level.  More details to come.
Grade:C+/3 credits/ distance= 14.0

9/23- Planned rest day.  Travel day in which I lost 2 hours going to Atlanta then gained 1 back on the drive to Birmingham.  Too tired to run even if I wanted to.

Weekly summary:
There are signs of breaking out of this slump.
Distance= 40.0/ GPA=2.89

No comments: