Monday, January 28, 2013

Training 1/28-2/3

1/28- Lakeshore 7 in 51:12 (7:19 pace).  Feeling better thanks to more Vitamin C and no caffeine.  Caffeine depletes C so that partially explains why I've been needing more and more of that stuff.  Started too fast but calmed down after seeing a 7:04 split for Mile 2.  Pleasant 60 degree weather.  The only reason this was not a solid A was a trace of lingering IT band pain.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

1/29- Johnny's workout.  Felt a little flat.  3x1200 with 3 minute R followed by a hard 400.  I made the "B" target of 4:30/75.  Strength was good but the speed and power in my legs was missing.  Each lap, I came through the 400 in 88ish and doubted that I could hold the pace but managed to do so.  1200s were 4:27/4:28/4:28 (5:57 pace), which was no faster than my 800s last week despite fewer reps and longer R.  The 400 was a 74.5 (4:58 pace).  Not a bad workout overall but not among my best.  The 17 year-old Crazy J "used to could" run 3x1 Mile in 5:55 with a 400 in 65 after a full R.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=4.0

1/30- BAD!  5 miles indoors in a weak time of 39:51 (7:58 pace).  I had to fight pretty hard just to get a sub-8.  I thought about quitting after 3 miles but managed to slog through.  1st half: 19:37, 2nd half: 20:14.  Clearly the Vitamin C is trending down, which could be good news in the long run.  Today, I was sore and listless because of the pills.  When I am overtrained, I feel zonked and dazed but still have decent flexibility.  It feels very different!  My winning streak is in jeopardy.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=5.0

1/31- Cut the Vitamin C down to 500 mg (original dosage).  I was much improved over yesterday but the grading is much stricter on a planned tempo day.  I like to do 6 miles at 6:40 or below on a good day.  Today, I managed only 5 in a time of 35:44 (7:09 pace), 40 seconds/mile slower than last week.  That's barely ahead of GMP and I had to put out tempo effort to do it.  Ugly splits as well!  1st half: 17:16, 2nd half: 18:28. Added a mile cool on the 'mill.  This guarantees a loss on the week but it's a loss with an explanation.  I'm willing to sacrifice this week for long-term gains from no caffeine and less Vitamin C.
Grade:D+/2 credits/distance=6.0

2/1- This was a planned rest day but I wanted a small test to see if I got the continuous improvement from sticking to 500 mg.  I felt near normal by the evening after a rough start to the day.  3 miles at easy effort and finished in a more typical time of 21:39 (7:13 pace).  Little more than a junk run and it should not hurt me tomorrow.  I still can't win this week but hopefully, it won't be too ugly.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=3.0

2/2- AWFUL!  7 miles in 57:02 (8:09 pace) with the Gnomes.  The last 4 miles went like this: 7:26-7:32-9:22-9:50.  'Nuff said.  I'll consider this my easy weekend day but if I don't finish 13 tomorrow, it's an automatic F and 2 credits.  My only theory is that Vitamin C must be either cut out or taken in the evening.  If I have to go back on it again, that is the breaking point.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=7.0

2/3- NO vitamin C this morning and guess what?  I've improved.  How long will I be forced off this stuff is another question.  I was still far from my peak.  13 miles on the Mercedes course in a time of 1:34:07 (7:14 pace), not including another emergency stop.  In a race setting, I'd estimate a time in the mid-high 1:32s, which is acceptable but not good by any stretch.  No way in hell that I could have run another 13 at that pace today.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=13.0

Weekly summary:
First loss of the year and the end of a 7 week winning streak, one shy of my record.  Again, it is a loss with an explanation.  If I can stay off the Vitamin C and the caffeine, it's a long-run gain.  If not, I will have reached the breaking point.  I really struggled this week with anger about this whole situation.  IT SUCKS!  YTD: 212. Record is 4-1 with a  3.20 GPA.
Distance=45.0/GPA= 24.9/10= 2.49

No comments: