Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Training 1/1-1/6

1/1- Biggest news of the day is that I finally saw the official medical report yesterday.  It was MUCH WORSE than last time.  The thyroid is about the same (4x ideal).  The adrenal ratio is off the charts high.  That's what happens when I don't take the Thym-Adren for 8 months and had only been on a low dose for 2 months.  Again, I wasn't freed from it, I was forced off due to toxicity issues.  I'm doing well now so my critics will say that you can't rely on a hair test and there is nothing seriously wrong with me despite the results.  Why I was hurting so badly back in late summer-early Fall?  Why was I so erratic in November?  It makes perfect sense that the report showed major problems.  What is a bit of a mystery is how I was able to do so well for so long without the pills.  The next test will be sent around mid-late February.  It's too much to ask for my numbers to improve all the way to balance but if I am able to continue on the pills, I guarantee that my next result will be a LOT better.  Lord, please let this be the year that I silence all my critics once and for all.

The workout:
A chilly rain all day but fortunately the gym was open today.  Plan was 5 miles at marathon pace followed by 5 miles at half-tempo pace.  Hit the first 5 in 36:36 (7:19 pace).  That's a little short of BQ pace but probably on target with my current fitness.  Took a short water break then took off at a comfortably hard effort.  Finished the next 5 in 33:45 (6:45 pace).  Could not quite hold 6:40 but did manage to make up some time with a strong kick.  Objective was to train myself to sustain a hard pace on tired legs.  Not an all time great but pretty strong overall.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=10.5

1/2- Trak Shak 5 in 36:55 (7:23 pace).  Not a bad workout but felt just a little off.  I have an excuse because yesterday was a quality day.  Marathon pace should not be hard for such a short distance but it was too much of a strain for an easy day so I backed off to a 7:30 over the 2nd half.  The rain finally stopped but it was cloudy and cold all day.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.5
Update:
After receiving the medical report, I tried some extra zinc to lower my off the scale tissue sodium levels.  It is now clear that it is not the answer and it's probably why I was a little off today.  I will stick with the C+ mega Thym-Adren.  I may be a little off tomorrow as well but it's no reason to panic.

1/3- 7 miles in 54:44 (7:49 pace).  As expected, this one was less than stellar.  Obviously the extra zinc that is causing the problems since I've gotten progressively worse since starting it.  At least, it was not an extreme reaction from just 1 pill.  However, if I stay on it, I will be flat out awful by the weekend.  How does it feel?  I was never especially tired but it felt like I had elastic bands holding me back.  On my absolute worst days, the fatigue and malaise is comparable to the flu (minus the fever and chills).  Fairly even pace and never went over 8:00 or below 7:40.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=7.0

1/4- Just as I predicted, I was MUCH better after eliminating the extra zinc.  6 miles in 43:28 (7:15 pace).  Strong GMP run.  Felt very comfortable.  It was an enjoyable evening.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=6.0

1/5- Slept in and ran solo.  Not a bad call because it was cold and dark outside.  Took a trip down to Oak Mountain for a change.  16 miles in 1:54:13 (7:08 pace).  I chose the flattest possible route but it was still rolling throughout the run.  Plan called for 13 miles at marathon pace followed by 3 at half marathon pace and I did it. No split for Mile 13 but did hit 13.1 just a hair fast at 1:34:25.  By then, I had already picked up the pace.  Miles 14-16 were 6:49-6:50-6:51 so I was short of PR half pace but did manage sub-1:30 pace. Route was beach to park entrance then straight ahead for another mile then back AND repeat.  I did run up the hill to the beach at the end of the 1st circuit but not the 2nd. Not much of a kick left and walking up the hill to the beach was tough.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=16.0

Update: I'm still taking mega doses of Thym-Adren and always wake up feeling awful until the pills kick in.  Today, I was not as bad when I woke up.  Again, only a good medical report will convince me that I'm getting better.  I expect to do well in L.A. but I did well for 3 months last year despite being unbalanced.  

1/6- Easy 5 in 37:13 (7:27 pace).  Overstimulated.  Too much caffeine yesterday.  No more until after the race.  Solid performance.  Slowed down at the end on purpose.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
Very strong week.  Emotionally, I'm still trying to digest the official medical report.  If I can still tolerate the Thym-Adren come Spring time, I'll be in a better frame of mind and the next medical report will be a lot better.  This is my 4th win in a row and I've never had more than 8 straight.  Time to taper now.
Distance=50.0/ GPA= 27.7/8= 3.46

No comments: