Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Training 1/14-1/20

1/14- Junk run on Washington Blvd before the flight back to the Ham.  Legs felt remarkably fresh because I left some time on the course. Entering week #3, I am 2-0 with a 3.31 GPA.
Grade:Pass/0 credit/distance=1.0

1/15- Easy 7 in 52:08 (7:27 pace).  Even pace.  Felt quite comfortable.  A bit of soreness in the quads but felt good overall.  Very little jet lag.  Long cool down. Weather will be dreary and chilly for the next few days.  It will clear out on Friday.  Unsure about my quality session this week.  I may do a tempo tomorrow.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=8.0

1/16- I think the jet lag has caught up with me today.  Legs felt pretty good but the body is awfully tired.  I have some pain on the side on my left foot.  Let's hope it's not serious.  I was not up for a tempo but did quite well in a basic workout.  6.5 miles in 47:58 (7:23 pace) plus a cool.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.0

1/17- Snow day.  Probably one of the two that we will get here this year.  I got to the gym just 30 minutes before it closed so all I had time for was a short tempo.  Hasty warm up followed by 3 miles at a fast and controlled pace.  Finished in 18:35 (6:12 pace) with splits of 6:11-6:15-6:09.  That projects to a 5K in 19:21 (8 ticks from a PR) and I felt that I had another gear too.  Sometime soon, I'm going for that PR and I don't care if it's on a track or the road. I wanted to run another easy 3 on the 'mill at my apartment complex but the door was locked. 
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=3.0

1/18- Lakeshore 5 in 36:45 (7:21 pace).  Clear skies and temps in the 40s.  Good to get back outside.  Strong performance.  Pretty even pace and was holding back at times.  Added a warm and cool.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

1/19- Run with the Gnomes.  13 miles in 1:35:50 (7:22 pace).  Mile 3-11 averaged just a hair under GMP but I was really strugg-a-ling late.  Mile 12 was 7:40, 13 was 7:55 then I quit.  Decent performance but something was off.  The Thym-Adren may have to be cut, which may not be good news.  I did pick up some new supplements that are supposedly good for detox.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=13.0

PM- Went to a college indoor track invitational.  It was upper level D-1 with schools like Auburn, Bama, GA Tech, Clemson, Miami, etc.  I was somewhat surprised by how many slower runners were allowed to run.  The top guys are nearly world class.  I believe that winner in the Mile ran a 4:08.  However, if you can run a 4:30, you're competitive.  In the 800, the winning time was 1:51.  Mid-pack was 1:55ish and you need to be near 2:00 to be competitive.  Granted, it was indoors but I was still surprised.  I was running 2:13-2:15 in high school and was already showing signs of adrenal fatigue.  Could I have been competitive at D-1?  Probably not.  In D-2, mid-pack is about 2:05 and the back end guys are 2:15-2:20.  No doubt that I could have made it there.

1/20- Cut the dosage from 9 pills down to 6 and it was too aggressive.  I think that 8 was too many yesterday and the 9th made it much worse.  Again, it really makes me feel uneasy that just one pill can make this much difference.  I'm fighting a 2 front war with copper toxicity and extreme fast oxidation.  Workout was quite lame.  5 miles on Lakeshore in a time of 39:46 (7:57 pace).  The sub-8 pace was the only reason that this was not a "D" performance.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
Won my 6th straight decision but endured yet another hiccup. Great tempo on Thursday but outside of that, it wasn't really anything special.  My personal record is 8 wins in a row.  The hair sample will be sent in about 3.5 more weeks and I'll get the medical report in about 6-7 more weeks.  If I cannot handle more than 3 Thym-Adren pills because of the copper issue, I must do something different.  I can't stop taking pills long-term but there is a chance that I will arrive at a place in which a single missed day will not make a difference.  Next week, I will start with tempos and intervals in the same week as I shift to Mile-5K mode.  YTD= 117 miles.  3-0 with a 3.34 GPA.
Distance=43.0/ GPA= 26.8/8= 3.40



No comments: