Monday, January 20, 2014

Training 1/20-1/26

1/20- AM. Detox recovery.  Glad that I have the day off for MLK day.  I feel like it was a little harder than last time because I had a bit more nausea but in the end, I passed a lot more stones. They're all green but the color is a little darker and the size is also a bit larger.  It's a beautiful 60 degree day outside but I won't be able to do much.  If I am to run this afternoon, it will have to be at the gym or Hoover HS with a toilet available each lap.  I've recently learned of a supplement called GB-3 that is a liver cleanser, which could be worth a try.  It's from the makers of Thym-Adren.  Speaking of which, if I can tolerate Thym-Adren + Magesium, I still believe I have a chance of getting in balance.  If not, I won't and my life will always suck.

PM- Hoover 5 mile in a moving time of 38:39 (7:44 pace).  Splits were 19:09-19:30.  Again, this was an improvement over the previous day and it was done on only 4 Thym-Adren pills.  A note of concern is that my hip was hurting pretty badly toward the end.  I still think that pain will diminish as I get closer to balance.  If I sent in my sample now, my bet would be as follows:
-low Cal, normal Mag, high Na, normal K.  That means that my thyroid is more hyper than my adrenals and I am prone to inflammation.  Lenient grading today.  We'll see how I do when I re-introduce Cal/Mag with the Thym-Adren.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=5.0

1/21- Well, good news is that the detox was successful.  Once again, I can take the Magnesium and Thym-Adren together, which keeps alive my hopes of someday getting in balance.  Bad news is that I have sustained a full-blown injury to the hip. The pain is on the outside near the top and is fairly localized.  It's probably a tendon issue. Today, it is too painful to even attempt a run.    Prolotherapy is scheduled for Thursday morning.

What went wrong this time?  The hip actually started bothering me back in early December during what was probably my lightest training since starting this blog.  At the time, I was alternating low doses of Magnesium with Thym-Adren, never being able to take both together.  I am sure that I got WAY out of balance during that time.  How bad were my numbers?  I'll never know because my hair sample got lost in the mail.  Simple fact is the farther our of balance you are, the more vulnerable you are to damaged connective tissue and thus you will be prone to injuries.  Every injury that I sustained occurred at a time in which I was either unable to take the key pill or could only take a limited dose.  If I am balanced and can take what I need without a problem, I can handle 50-60 MPW and am not injury prone.

In January, things appeared to be improving but I could usually feel a bit of discomfort on occasion.  The final dagger hit me when I tried to run through the detox when I had been taking fewer pills.  Next time I detox, I will take my normal supplements or I will not attempt to run.

How long will I be out?  I'm not sure but will have a better idea by the end of the week.  I would not be surprised if I need multiple treatments.  The knee injury in 2010 felt worse than this one and cost me 3 weeks.  Either way, I am questionable for Mercedes and can probably forget about a good time.  I might end up pacing Nick.

As for the grading, I get one or two freebies per year so that the yearly GPA is based on 50 weeks of training.  After that point, a missed week of training for any reason goes in the books as an automatic zero.

1/22-  Hopes of a miracle overnight were quashed as soon as I woke up this morning.  My final thought is that I'm glad that this did not become a full scale injury a month ago.  If that had happened, I would have quit and may not have even tried the detox.  When I do come back, I will stick to Mile-5K training.  Lastly, I will get to see what a break from running will do to my numbers.  Will it hasten the progress toward balance?  I doubt it but we'll see.

1/23- Prolotherapy is today and it's going to hurt.  Heading up to Nashville to see Dr. Johnson.  Between the trip up there, the treatment and the trip home, it's pretty much a full day's work.  Good news is that my pills appear to be stable after the detox.  6 Thym-Adren and a 1:1 Cal/Mag ratio (500 mg each).  I can adjust that depending on the results of the hair test, which will be sent in about 5 weeks.  I may attempt to run as early as Sunday but more likely, it will take another treatment.

1/24- Prolo was not as bad as I had feared and I am cautiously hopeful of a return to the roads next week.  The post-shot pain kicked in hard immediately thereafter and has already begun to die down.

1/25- Not much more to report.  I am walking normally now but the hip remains too sore to run.
PM- Went to Gold's Gym in Inverness (Hwy 280) out of boredom.  No indoor track there so I jumped on the 'mill and jogged a painful mile.  The hip was sore but able to withstand the pounding.
Hopped on a stationary bike and cranked out 10 miles in 33:40 (18.2 mph) and felt decent while doing it.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=1.0

1/26- Good news is that I am able to run 3 days post-prolo!
Bad news is that my chemistry has shifted again so it was an experiment day.  I think I have excess Cal relative to Mag now.  750 of each did not work before round 2 of detox but appears to be my best option now.
Mile 1- 8:41- 750 Cal/0 Mag
Mile 2- 7:53- 750 Cal/250 Mag
Mile 3- 7:21- 750 Cal/500 Mag
Mile 4- 6:56- 750 Cal/750 Mag
   Despite the strong finish, my body still does not feel "right"  The Thym-Adren may have to drop to 4 pills.  I REALLY don't want to drop below that.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=4.0

Weekly summary:
Horrible week overall but it's a freebie.  The shift in chemistry demonstrates precisely why I need to run almost every day.  If I can do that, I'll adjust when necessary and won't have to endure more than a rough day or two.  No more freebies until July.
Distance=10.0/ GPA= None
YTD: 125 miles.   2-1 with a 2.74 GPA.

No comments: