Monday, July 24, 2017

Training 7/24-7/30

7/24- Unplanned rest day.  The culprit is Yasko's Ultimate B.  I'll have to go back on PABA to manage MF sensitivity.  Not pleased but not a huge surprise because of the B6 and IP6 content.  B2 as a stand alone may help as well.  I expect this to be a 1-2 day blip.

7/25- AM- First day off the Ultimate B was a success so far.  2 miles in 13:52 (6:56 pace) and felt good in doing so.  A lot left at the end as well.  We'll see what happens in the evening.  I tried to stop Ultimate B after Teton and it did not work.  I was not taking PABA at the time.

PM- Gold's 4 in 31:24 (7:51 pace).  Not horrible on the surface but I faded badly (15:02-16:22).  It looks like I need the Ultimate B after all at a dose of neither more nor less than 1 pill per day.  If I had waited just a few hours longer, it would have been a struggle from the start.  I get an "A" for the morning and a "C" for the evening.  Odds are there is another ingredient in the Ultimate B that I need and another that I can barely tolerate.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=6.0

7/26- CRASH!  Culprit was Ultimate B.  That means there is a magic bullet in there (probably B-2) and something else that is no longer tolerated (probably IP-6).  Iron dysregulation is the reason for the intolerance. Re-ordered the B-2 but it probably won't arrive until Saturday after the group run.  I'm going to lose this week.  Workout was a very poor 3 miler on Lakeshore.  Time was over 26 minutes.  Started off cool and overcast after a storm then the sun came out and made it brutal at the end.  We'll start to get some relief from the humidity in 3-4 weeks.  I am allowed to donate blood again in 3 weeks and I'm leaning towards doing it immediately thereafter.  I want the Ferritin down NOW and am willing to face some instability to get there.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

7/27- AM-Last evening's Ultimate B dose confirmed the culprit but left me worse off than before.  I was worthless this morning and it was worse than I expected.  1 Mile in 9:49 and needed a late rally just to secure the sub-10.  I might be somewhat better by the evening and may even get a brief window of good energy but within 2 days without B-2, the crash will be sure and swift.  Help is on the way.  B-2 plus PABA has worked in the past and I believe it will work again now.  I had hoped to get by on the Ultimate B because it's one less pill but that plan is moot.
EDIT: Not any old B-2 will do.  I need the active form called Ribo-5-Phosphate.

PM- Just as expected for the day after a crash.  Improved to 25:48 for 3 miles (8:36 pace).  If I don't take any Ultimate B tonight, I'll wake up feeling pretty decent but it will be downhill after lunch.  I'll probably take a trace of it and I'll endure a rough day tomorrow and a rough morning on Saturday but should see improvement when the Active B-2 arrives.  One person in the Mag group on Facebook suggested that my sensitivity issues could be allergies, which is treatable a method similar to acupuncture.  I'll look into it but it seems too good to be true.  Again, no more NEW supps.  The B-2 doesn't count because it worked in the past and must replace the Ultimate B.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=4.0

7/28- Worse than expected.  Unplanned rest day.  The active B-2 better come tomorrow or the whole weekend will be shot.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=0

7/29- Gold's 3 in 26:39 (8:53 pace).  Wanted to see how bad I would do without the B-2 and it was ugly.  3 laps in 3:23 (10:09 pace).  With the B-2, I did see improvement but not the night and day type that I hoped for.  Next 24 laps were 23:26 (8:45 pace).  Took too much PABA but I'm betting that without it, the TMG/MF sensitivity will kick back in with a vengeance.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

7/30- AM- Lakeshore 5 in 41:20 (8:16 pace).  Relatively even pace but could not access the top gears.  Rare cool front made for decent weather conditions.

PM- Gold's 3 in 23:19 (7:46 pace).  Not much different than the morning.  Maybe a little better because of the clearance of PABA.  From now on, I'll try to eliminate that stuff but I may need just a trace for the MF/TMG ratio sensitivity.  Comfortably under the Mendoza line.
Grade:C/2 credit/distance=8.0
- I have learned that Whole Food C, PABA, IP-6 and Curcumin ALL increase ceruloplasmin.  Every pill that I cannot tolerate is either directly or indirectly involved with Iron metabolism.  For those who did not read the Theories post, ceruloplasmin brings Iron out of storage into blood and tissues.  Blood donation gets it out of the body.

Weekly summary:
A big league downer after last week's win but there is an explanation.
Distance=24.0/ GPA= 13.0/8=1.62
YTD: 867 miles.  6-22 with a 2.09 GPA

No comments: