Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Probiotics and Sensitivity

Well, the glycine has officially failed after a promising start.  Even after not touching it for 3 days, I had a massive negative reaction today.  Fortunately, the new probiotic shows promise and I got most of my speed back after taking just one of those pills.  A friend of mine asked me why I am so concerned about whether or not I can tolerate Calcium when it’s not even part of my long-term formula.  That’s a fair question but I am beating a dead horse with the answer.  THERE IS NO WAY THAT A HEALTHY PERSON SHOULD REACT THAT BADLY TO A MICRO DOSE OF A BENIGN MINERAL OR VITAMIN EVEN IF IT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THEIR CHEMISTRY! 

AS LONG AS THESE REACTIONS OCCUR, I AM VULNERABLE TO RELAPSES AND SUDDEN INTOLERANCES TO PILLS THAT I REALLY DO NEED OR COULD BE USEFUL!  An example of this is IP-6.  In theory, it should be helpful in reducing my high ferritin level but I cannot tolerate it and turned to blood donation instead.  Two weeks from now, I shall see how effective it was when the lab results come back.  It is my expectation that it will remain a bit on the high side but possibly edging into the normal range.  That would prove that the Iron Overload is not the smoking gun.  I believe there is something else out there that has not been tested but is stratospherically high.  That’s the most plausible explanation.

Now, on to probiotics.  I’ve eaten yogurt sporadically and have taken Ultimate Flora probiotics on a fairly regular basis.  Markers indicative of candida and gut dysbiosis have come down nicely when I take it but since it did not resolve the sensitivity, I ruled out leaky gut as the smoking gun.  Now, I’m not so sure.  It could be that the marker that is in the stratosphere was unaffected by the Ultimate Flora and requires something different to move in the right direction.  Just like brands of mineral supplements, not all probiotics are created equal.  The new probiotic is called Syntol AMD, which combines enzymes and live bacteria with prebiotics and spore germination.  The latter is not a part of Ultimate Flora.

So far, just like the early response to the glycine, the Syntol is VERY EFFECTIVE at combating the sensitivity.  It’s almost like I never even took the problem supplement after I pop a Syntol pill.  However and also like the glycine, I have experienced mild sore muscles and feel a bit sluggish on it.  These effects will intensify if I increase the dose and I’ve also had a nasty stomach ache as well.  I contacted the company to report this and got a quick response.  They said it “sounds like a detox reaction” that should fade within 1-2 weeks.  Around Columbus Day, we shall see where I am.  It could be that it’s a temporary side effect that will fade in due time or like the glycine, it could continue to get worse and evolve into complete intolerance.  That’s probably the death knell if the latter becomes a reality.  If I have to live with feeling mildly sluggish but have enough energy to do easy/long runs, that is acceptable and highly preferable to the extreme sensitivity.  With the glycine, it got to the point that my reaction to it became as bad as the problem supplements.  Needless to say, that is unacceptable.

Now the rant, I’ve been criticized for “feeling sorry for myself.”  That’s unfair and inaccurate.  Yes, I do get angry and I have every right to be after my prime years were stolen from me.  Many times, I’ve shown flashes of great talent that turned out to be false hopes.  That said, I don’t sulk around at home.   I have always picked myself up and tried again to find the magic formula no matter how crushed I am by the previous disappointment.

No comments: