Monday, September 25, 2017

Training 9/25/10/1

9/25- AM- Testing.  Opened with a Mile in 7:44 then popped half a Cal pill.  Got the expected reaction and managed to coax a 2:24 for the next quarter mile (9:36 pace).  Once again, even if Cal takes my chemistry in the wrong direction, there is NO REASON WHY IT SHOULD CAUSE THIS MUCH OF A REACTION!!!  A week ago, glycine would have knocked out that problem but that's no longer an option.  Fortunately, the new probiotic shows some promise.  After taking that stuff, I got most of it back and ran the next mile in 7:56 then added another quarter mile as a cool.

PM- Just a 1 mile junk run on Wisteria and was CONSIDERABLY WEAKER after taking extra probiotics.  Not good news there but it could be a detox reaction and I might do better on a low dose starting tomorrow.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.5
Reaction:
I think the low dose probiotics are less likely to cause a reaction than the glycine but nothing is a guarantee.  I could have a few decent weeks followed by a crash.  If that happens, it's all over.  Just avoid any questionable supps and I'll be okay, right?  WRONG!  Something in my current formula that is necessary could cause a reaction at any time.  In 2 weeks, I'll get the Iron and Ferritin re-tested.  It's looking pretty bleak now but I won't give up until I'm beaten.

Remaining options:
Of the 6 listed at the end of last week, 2 have been eliminated (amino acid combo and B-5).  Glycine every 3rd day seems unlikely.  Rather, I need to avoid that stuff altogether.  That leaves me with probiotics, DIM and anti-microbials.  The latter 2 will arrive later in the week.

9/26-AM Glimmer of hope.  I got an absolutely NASTY stomach ache yesterday evening, which tells me that I am overdoing it with the probiotics.  Cut the dose from 4 pills to 2 and showed improvement.  3 miles at Gold's with a negative split.  Overall time was 22:42 (7:34 pace).  More importantly, the Cal was a non-factor.  In fact, I was actually slightly faster after taking it (7:25).  If the probiotics are successful, it will RENDER THE GLYCINE UNNECESSARY!  How much of the probiotics do I need?  If just 1 pill knocks out the sensitivity, that's all I take.  This brand (Syntol) is quite pricey.  I plan to be back out this evening.

PM- 5 miles on Canterbury/Jemison in a solid 37:56 (7:35 pace).  Started and finished strong but the midsection was a bit weak.  Still, overall not too bad.  I'll go down to 1 probiotic tomorrow and am concerned that higher doses make things worse.  Perhaps the probiotic will allow me to tolerate glycine but even if it does, I probably won't mess with it.
Grade:B+/2 credit/distance=8.5

9/27- AM- More testing.  Opened with Calcium and struggled but it wasn't nearly as bad as 2 days ago.  Did 3 laps in 2:43 (8:09 pace).  That compares quite favorably with the 9:36 from Monday.  That tells me that I'm still getting benefit from the probiotic even though I had not taken it for 24 hours.  Perhaps I won't be as dependent on it down the road.  Then I tried the glycine and was immediately MUCH WORSE!  Next 3 laps were 3:20 (10:00 pace).  SCRATCH OPTION 1.

The big question: How much would I get back from the probiotic?  The answer was quite a bit.  Next 3 laps were 2:20 (7:00 pace).  Yes, you read that right.  A 3 MINUTE PACE IMPROVEMENT FROM ONE PILL!!!  I was still a bit sluggish however and it could be a manageable side effect of the probiotic or that I didn't fully knock out the glycine.  A 2nd probiotic provided no additional benefit.  In fact, I was slightly worse with a 2:24 (7:12 pace).  That's it for today.

PM- Took the evening off as planned.  The new supps did arrive today.  The anti-microbial appears to be okay but it will likely be a non-factor.  The DIM contains glycine and is therefore a NO.  I pitched it after just 1 pill.  Neither the anti-microbial nor the DIM allows me to tolerate glycine.  Only the probiotic can do that and it will render the glycine unnecessary.  Syntol probiotics are my last hope.  I should know one way or the other before race day.
Grade: Pass/0 credit/distance=1.5

9/28- DOWNER.  Lakeshore run.  I was hoping to do 6.5 but had to settle for 3.5.  Time was 27:47 (7:56 pace) and faded badly on the back half.  Fortunately, there is an explanation.  The anti-microbial supplement used in combination with the Syntol probiotics is just too much.  It's got to be one or the other and I'm going with the Syntol at just 1 per day right now.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=3.5

9/29- Loaded on anti-microbials last night and was beyond awful today as a result of it.  Strangely, my mood is not all that bad.  Perhaps all my fight is gone and I am prepared to accept my fate.  I might be willing to try another probiotic that is not as strong but in all likelihood, if the Syntol fails, I'm done.  Did 1 junk mile on Wisteria this morning and may be out for a couple more in the evening.

PM- 2 miles in 17:46 (8:53 pace).  I blame the die off reaction.  Going forward, it's probiotics only with no anti-microbial.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0

Quick update:
According to numerous sources, a die off reaction is common and yes, it could get worse initially.  My case is SEVERE so it does make sense that I can only tolerate a small amount.  Unless I feel MUCH better tomorrow, I will not attempt the long run and make a fool of myself again.

9/30- BTC run this morning.  2x Trak Shak 3 plus extensions.  Totaled 7 miles in an ugly 61:50 (8:50 pace).  Good call not to run with the O'Henry's group.  I would have been dropped very early.  Today, I never did have a good pace but held it under 9 all the way and wasn't completely spent at the end.  I probably could have muscled my way through and eked out a sub-2 half mary.  It was an improvement over yesterday but not nearly good enough.  The probiotic is my LAST resort and I can only hope this is a die off reaction.  Will I continue to slowly get better or will it get worse?  I'll go for 10 tomorrow.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=7.0

10/1- So far so good.  Since my latest nadir, I've been getting a little better every day and MAYBE just MAYBE I am becoming less dependent on the pills.  Lakeshore 10 mile in 81:28 (8:09 pace) with splits of 41:02-40:26 and actually dipped below 8:00 pace over the last 2.5 miles.  Way too soon to celebrate but this is encouraging.  Only bad news is I have a bit of a toothache and may have to see the denty next week.
Grade:B/2 credit/distance=10.0

Distance=37.0  GPA= 19.0/8= 2.38


No comments: