Monday, November 13, 2017

Training 11/13-11/19 (Race Week)

This race is the Magic City Half Marathon.  My current post-35 PR is 1:44:38.  It's a pretty soft target and set at 4,000 feet altitude and less than fresh after a half the previous week.  I've beaten that time in training several times and I think I can get close to 1:40 if I have my best stuff.

11/13 AM- PABA trial intervals.  I went with 1 Ultimate B and no PABA and opened with a 4:26 half mile (8:52 pace).  Hard to believe that just 1 additional Ultimate B carried me to a low-21 5K 2 days ago but I swear it's true.
50 mg PABA plus Cal- Improved to 3:50 (7:40 pace)  MINUS 72
100 mg PABA plus Cal- Slipped to 4:10 (8:20 pace) PLUS 40
Added a half mile cool.
  I'm betting that even the 50 mg was too high.  I still don't know the magic number but that's okay.  I won't be using it.  2 Ultimate B it is.  We'll see how I do on Cal with that.  That's all for today.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=2.0

11/14- Opened with 2 Ultimate B and no additional PABA.  Ran the first mile in a comfortable 7:29 then popped a Cal and actually improved to 7:19.  Excellent news.  Still uneasy because a 3rd Ultimate B would set me back considerably.  Perhaps NADH helps with that.

PM- Basically a junk workout.  This time Whole Food C was tested.  Effort was downgraded from the morning session because of the taper.  Did 1 mile without it in 7:49 then improved to 7:37 with it and felt noticeably better.  Same effort?  I think so.

Again, it is excellent news.  If I had taken another Ultimate B pill however, I would have gone BACKWARDS with both C and Cal.  2 Ultimate B it is and there will be some tweaks.  Neither the Cal nor the C will be life changing but a 10 second improvement per mile would equate to the following improvements at race distances:
5K- 31 seconds, 10K- 62 seconds, Half mary- 2 min 11 sec.
AGAIN, IT MUST BE 2 ULTIMATE B WITH GLYCINE OR ELSE!
  When I tried PABA, I found that even if I took too much, I STILL got better with 1 Ultimate B so that tells me there is another ingredient in play.  NADH is the only thing left that has potential to be life changing but even if that doesn't work, THIS OUTCOME IS ACCEPTABLE.  BARRING A DISCONTINUED PRODUCT OR RE-FORMULATION, I WILL BE OKAY WITH THIS.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=4.0

11/15- This was a planned rest day but I wanted to try out B-6 and Choline, both of which are involved in glycine metabolism.  I was hurt by both in the past but today both were non-factors which is good news.  Opened with a 4:47 then did a 4:48 on B-6 and a 4:50 on Choline.  Not nearly enough to be considered significant and felt exactly the same on each interval.  I'm tossing both bottles.  On the other hand, I believe the improvements from Whole Food C and Cal were REAL.  I'll try out NADH tomorrow and do want at least 1 semi-quality session before Sunday's race.  CoQ10 and ATP are most likely non-factors but I will finish those bottles and be done with it.
No Grade/distance=2.0

11/16- VERY INTERESTING!  NADH did arrive today and the immediate reaction was DECIDEDLY NEGATIVE!  I did not even have to run to tell.  BUT additional Ultimate B was tolerated AND extra PABA was DECIDEDLY POSITIVE!  AND it did NOT seem to cause an intolerance to Cal or Whole Food C.

Workout was 4 miles at Gold's in a solid 29:51 (7:28 pace) which I believe was sustainable for 8 miles but not 13.  Even pace with moderate effort.  Felt strong overall.  Just like last weekend, I don't need to have a great day to PR, just a decent one.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=4.5
Reaction:
With race day approaching, it's too late and too risky to make a radical shift at this point.  I will go with the 2 Ultimate B until Sunday but this development opens up a much better option.  If I go with the NADH, stand alone PABA will become necessary BUT the dose could be flexible AND the need for Ultimate B may be reduced if not eliminated.  Do I go with the PABA or the Ultimate B?  That depends on how effective each one is.  If that's equal, I will choose the former because I like the flexible dose.  Again, needing exactly 2.0 (neither more nor less) of any pill makes me feel uneasy and if the PABA dose is indeed flexible, that's a lot better.

11/17- Struggled a bit but that was to be expected after taking PABA last night and no NADH today.  Late morning and early afternoon were rough but it did get somewhat better by the evening.  Did 3 miles in 23:09 (7:43 pace) plus a cool but I had to work for it.  It was not an easy effort.  I should hit equilibrium tomorrow but if I don't, NADH is an option.  After the events of today, I am leaning heavily towards NADH over Ultimate B over the long haul.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=3.5

11/18- I should have hit equilibrium today and planned it so I could have raced well on the day before the big one.  I am still clearly off.  Did 1 mile in 7:40 (roughly goal pace) but it felt much too hard.  Tried to pick it up and found a 7:00 pace to be a strain for just 1 lap.  Got home and found that I still have too much PABA in my system and only NADH can help that.
No grade:distance=2.0
I'm going to chance it and race with the NADH even though I'm not sure if there is a PABA limit or not.  I'll find out soon if not tomorrow.  Score is tied so I'll win if I get a PR.  I'll lose if I fall short.

11/19- NADH came through for me!  I didn't hit the equilibrium perfectly but it was good enough for a 1:42:27 (7:49 pace) and good for a post-35 PR by more than 2 minutes.  Detailed post upcoming.
Grade:B+/4 credit/distance=14.0

Weekly summary:
I'm going with the NADH.  I'm still a bit sensitive to PABA but it's not going to be a case of 50 mg off either way being the difference between a PR and a disaster.  This is my 4th win in the last 7 weeks so I've got a chance for a winning record in the 4th quarter.  Still on track for 1500 but next week will be low due to the Thanksgiving holiday.  I still have some unfinished business to accomplish this year.
Distance=32.0/ GPA= 3.15
YTD: 1343 miles/ 12-32 with a 2.24

No comments: